warmer temp fermenting beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInCtown

Reaction score
I'd love to make some lagers but the dedicated cold space to keep them in is proving a challenge.

I was wondering if there was a way to make a lighter type beer or lager without needing the cool temps. I'm pretty much stuck right now at about 70-72* temps as it is still pretty warm here and I do not have a basement. I know the Pilsners I have made do well at this temperature but they have a bit too much hop character for me. Perhaps using the same recipe and just adding less hops may work.

I was looking at the williams brewing honey wheat kit but they don't mention temps. Also looked at the honey cream ale and the california lager (that one is warm ferment)

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

Kolsch would be a good one to try - it's probably the ale that is closest to a pilsner. I'm not sure how high you can go in terms of fermentation temp, but I think 68-72 is probably ok. Otherwise you could make a pale ale using a clean (non estery) yeast like Nottingham or S-05. If you went with little hops and kept the gravity fairly low, it would be light and refreshing.

I have had good luck with coopers dry yeast, high temps and short time for ed worts Haus pale. I commonly have temps of >75. Of the for the four dry yeast I have tried(safales,notty,coopers), the coopers made the less alcohol bite.

Latest posts

Back