Grains in Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProfessorPlum

Reaction score
Lately I've been interested in making some strong dessert type wines and the thought crossed my mind that I might be able to use some specialty grains such as crystal 80 or 120 to add some interesting character to such wines. Has anyone here ever tried this with any success? I thought I'd probably just steep the grains and add to the wine in secondary. Whaddaya all think?

I put crystal 120 in my carmel apple wine. It would have tasted great, if I had not used cane syrup.

Great thread on using 60L crystal malt in the making of a well received caramel apple mead... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/caramel-apple-mead-68519/

I guess it was 60L that I used. It was leftover from the Carmel Apple Mead, I made my husband. It is aging now as we speak. I did not like the taste at all, before I bottled it. I am hoping all of you are right and it ages out nice. I am sure it has something to do with my dislike of honey.

Great thread on using 60L crystal malt in the making of a well received caramel apple mead... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/caramel-apple-mead-68519/

I guess it was 60L that I used. It was leftover from the Carmel Apple Mead, I made my husband. It is aging now as we speak. I did not like the taste at all, before I bottled it. I am hoping all of you are right and it ages out nice. I am sure it has something to do with my dislike of honey.

Professor, I saved my spent grains, by freezing them in portioned ziplock bags, and use them when I am baking bread... about a half a cup to a two loaf batch.

Interesting. I've not tried using Spent grains for baking. A nice added touch of fiber I suppose to your bread. This caramel apple mead sounds intriguing, but I am shooting for some similar flavors to that in a brandy or even a bourbon, so the sweet raisin/prune flavors from a dark crystal malt might be good for the brandyish flavor or a lighter crystal malt like 40l for a bourbon-esque flavor. I plan on oaking for a good long time after using the specialty grains also. I guess really the only way I'll know for sure is to try it. Thanks for the replies.

Back