unexpectedly have to leave town..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

npray

Reaction score
I brewed a 3 gallon batch of Saison last Sunday, it's been fermenting happily around 80 for about a week and I just found out I have to leave town for work in 2 weeks for a few months.. I am at a lose as to what to do...
My recipe:
3 pounds marris otter
2 pounds white wheat
1 pound muntons light dme
.5oz tettnanger 3.5% 60min
.5oz ekg 5.7% 40min
.5oz both at 10 min
.5oz coriander 10min
Irish moss 10min
Wlp568
Grains mashed at 155 for 60min
60min boil

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

I think you should be fine. If you want you could move your Carboy to a cooler place, if you want.

I opine with GravityBrew that it should be ready to bottle just before you go.

Do a gravity check mid to late next week and then one about 4 days before you leave. If you don't see a change, bottle it up. If you have any doubts after you bottle it, get a big rubbermaid bin (with a lid!!) to put it in and keep in in the coldest spot in your house (bathtubs are great for this if no one will be using it while you're gone). That way, it will carbonate nice and slow and if there are any bottle bombs, you have a buffer between you and glass shards.

I agree... if gravity readings are consistent in the few days before you go then bottle it up and be pleased that you'll be coming home to a well-aged brew.

I'm very anxious to try this beer when I get back...

Back