Brown Eye Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadsupporter

Reaction score
BROWN EYE PORTER
What's up?
Some of you here may have a recipe similar to this, but I created this on my own. Anyways; here is how it goes:

PARTIAL MASH RECIPE:

5 Gallon batch size
Estimated SG: 1.053
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.015
SRM: 20.3
Estimated IBUs: 21.2
ABV 5.0 +/-
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain:
1 lbs Caramel / Crystal Malt (60L)

1 lbs English Brown Malt (65L)

4.0 Ozs Chocolate Malt (350L)

0.5 Ozs Roasted Barley (300L)*

Extract:
6.0 lbs Pale Liquid Extract LME (8L)

Hops:
1.00 Oz East Kent Goldings at 60 min boil

0.50 Oz East Kent Goldings at 15 min boil

Finings/ Adjuncts:
1 tsp Gypsum added before the mash [optional]

.50 tsp Wyeast yeast nutrient at 10 min boil

1 tsp Irish moss at 10 min boil

1 Vial of White Labs Wlp005 British Ale yeast

Bring 4 gal of water to 175 F and steep your grains at 155-165 F for 45 min.
Sparge the grain with 1 gal of water at 165-170 F
Just before the boil add your 6.0 lbs of Pale liquid malt extract [LME]
At the start of the 1 hour boil add your first hop addition of 1.0 ounces of East Kent Goldings.
At the 15 min before the end of boil add your last hop addition of East Kent Goldings.
At the 10 min mark add your yeast nutrient and Irish moss.

I always like to add slightly more than 5 gallons when boiling as some will evaporate.

Cool your wort to 80-85F and prepare your yeast vial.
Strain your wort into your primary fermenting bucket.
Pitch your WLP 005 yeast at about 80F

Ferment for 5-7 days in the primary fermenter and two weeks in the secondary. After the secondary fermenting is done keg your beer and let it carb up for two weeks. Serve at the recommended temperature.

*Roasted barley is optional and I add it merely for the color.
This recipe calls for east kent goldings at 5.0% Au's, but it often varies form harvest to harvest. If the AU's are not radically different [normally about 4.0-5.5%] do not fret over it if you dont get exactly 5.0%.

You may produce this recipe at will; all I ask is you call it by its name of "Brown Eye Porter".

I decided to make this on a whim; so let me know what you guys think.

Brewed this recipie last nite only different hops cause store only had us goldings and we did 1oz at 60min and 1oz at 15

I personally am more of a 'hoppy' guy and found this brew within my palate. However if some of you non-ipa guys out there prefer a not so bitter brew try and find the hops with a lower AA content and omit the gypsum [as I find it can bring out more bitterness]. Ok; Not really a partial mash, but I guess now I know my edit function is not possible.

Back