What kind of ale is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMunster

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
California Ale Wlp001
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
35-40
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 at 72*F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 at 42*F
Base Grain:
8 Lb 2-row (US)
1 Lb Flaked Wheat
8 Oz Dried Apricots

Specialty Grains:
1 Lb Gambrinus Honey Malt
.5 Lb Munich Malt
.25 Lb Chocolate Malt

Hops:
1 Oz Goldings (50 min)
1 Oz Williamette (20 min)
1 Oz Cascade (20 min)
.5 Oz Goldings (5 min)

Misc:
.5 Tbs Irish moss (15 min)

I made up this recipe, and was wondering if this would be considered an American amber?
Mashed at 154*F for 60 mins. Sparge temp at 170, 4 gallons.

This falls perfectly into the acceptable range for an american amber ale. Its almost too dark but just barely there. I hope you brewed this already. The apricots sound interesting, especially mixed with chocolate malt.

I can't seem to get my tastebuds around the chocolate, even if it is such a small amount, especially with the honey and the wheat. Hve you tasted this yet?

I was thinking the same, The chocolate roastyness with the apricots and honey malt I think will go pretty good together. Just as long as there all in balance, I think this recipe could be a disaster or wonderful. Anything out of balance and you get too sweet, too roasty, or too fruity.

I was thinking the same, The chocolate roastyness with the apricots and honey malt I think will go pretty good together. Just as long as there all in balance, I think this recipe could be a disaster or wonderful. Anything out of balance and you get too sweet, too roasty, or too fruity.

Yeah, either awesome or a disaster....

Personally if I were brewing this I would dump the chocolate, then it would be a nice summery apricot ale

The chocolate malt didn't go too well with the apricots, so either take the chocolate out or the apricots. Though when I did take the first sip it was kind of interesting. Farely bitter with nice citrusy, fruity, honey flavors which blended nicley. Then when the chocolate flavor came it threw me off a bit.

Back