RIMS complete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I have finished my RIMS project and will be running it on Monday if all goes to plan.

I used tri-clover fittings so it all comes apart to store and clean. Because all my fittings are tri-clover it can attach to any of my other fittings, so it is flexable. And best of all, it is made of stainless steel!

I wired my Ranco controller into a 120 V outlet on my Wagon of Spiritual Salvation, so, in addition to the heating element, I can use the controller for any variety of purposes.

This is a good day.

Here are the pictures:

the thermo-well parts
CIMG0593.jpg

thermo-well in place on outlet of MLT with probe and hose going to the pump, Ranco controller and controlled outlet
RIMS4-2008001.jpg

Heating element attached to pump outlet
RIMS4-2008003.jpg

The RIMS
RIMS4-2008002.jpg

Saweet!! Looks like something Nasa would use!!!

I'll assume a buddy from department of transportation hooked you up with all that sign post material. But I'll be watching for increased accidents from your area due to missing traffic signs!!! :p ;)

Why did I have to look at those pics?

(starts contemplating adding another project to the list...)

That looks like a nice, easy, uncomplicated rims setup. My jealousy abounds.

That looks pretty good, BP. Is the thermometer just sitting in the thermowell or do you have some kind of liquid or gel fill inside? I'm wondering about response time and external ambient temp influence.

I have wondered the same thing. Right now it is dry and I am hoping the copper will allow for a rapid transfer of heat. The well is also pretty deep and extends well into the wort stream, so I am hoping the influence of ambient external temperature will be small.

freyguy said:
Saweet!! Looks like something Nasa would use!!!

I'll assume a buddy from department of transportation hooked you up with all that sign post material. But I'll be watching for increased accidents from your area due to missing traffic signs!!! :p ;)

The best thing my cousin ever did for me was get a job with the city!

The flip tops are decoration of sorts, who knows why.

The pump is an Idexx stainless centrifugal pump. Ebay. It is bullet proof.

Brewpastor said:
I have wondered the same thing. Right now it is dry and I am hoping the copper will allow for a rapid transfer of heat. The well is also pretty deep and extends well into the wort stream, so I am hoping the influence of ambient external temperature will be small.
Just insulate it. Pipe insulation for water would work fine. It is cheap, sanitary, and easy to remove with out making a mess. I should be more specific, insulate the entire fitting and well on the outside. I know that sounds funny, but I think you will get the idea. S.

Brewpastor said:
The flip tops are decoration of sorts, who knows why.

The pump is an Idexx stainless centrifugal pump. Ebay, $125. It is bullet proof.

So if I was to go to pumps would this be better then the marsh pumps I see here all the time?

FSR402 said:
So if I was to go to pumps would this be better then the marsh pumps I see here all the time?

March pumps are great. I have a couple and used them for a long time. I like my current pump because it has a pump head that can attach to a standard motor and it is stainless. But mine is also really expensive unless you can find one used. I paid 1/10 its regular cost.

Here is a link to a thread on my pump: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=23444&highlight=idexx+pump

Back