Favorite bands of all time....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sitting here playing guitar and drinking a very nice pilsner of the tap and was thinking of my 5 favorite bands...I went through my ipod and wrote down 10..It was hard to pick a top 5..Very hard..So here goes...Not really in any order..Except the first two...

1.Led Zeppelin
2.Black Sabbath(I would put solo Ozzy here too.)
3.U2
4.Guns N Roses
5. Iron Madien,Judas Preist,The Clash,Van Halen, Def Leppard,The Police..I love the blues too...

Sorry. I couldn't do it..What's your favorite??

Iordz said:
Without a doubt, my number one is Pink Floyd. I can't decide how to arrange the rest.

I'm with you there, Iordz. There are a lot of bands on my list but Floyd is definitely up at the top.

I was doing the classic rock thing for awhile and then realized that I was missing the new stuff. There are a lot of really good bands making music right now and by living in the past I was missing the present. Classic rock will always be there but I sure like to listen to the new stuff. There is just as much garbage as there used to be. We just tend to remember our past as being a little more rosy than it used to be. Remember disco? *shudder*

I don't like individual bands enough to name favorites and my taste in music changes so often. I guess if I had to list some artists I listen to a lot and keep coming back to:

Pantera (older stuff)
Incubus
No Doubt
James Taylor
Billy Joel
VH

Bulls Beers said:
Snot??I must be old...I'll have to ask my kids on that one...

They were back in the Mid to late 90's Hard rock band with a little Reagae and a little Rap I guess is the best way to describe them. The Singer Lynn Strait Died in a car crash.

STP
Roger Clyne and the Peacemaker (formerly The Refreshments)
Nirvana
Soundgarden
Manson

I know...I am clearly a product of the 80's.
Seriously check out #2, They were touted as <paraphrase>"just like Melloncamp but way better!"</paraphrase>
You AZ kids should know about them. If you don't, shame on you!

Not to get into any confrontations, but I never really go the appeal of PF.

I had to borrow money from my sister in 1973 to buy Dark Side of the Moon. Still have the vynil in my basement.

Beatles
Grand Funk Railroad
The Doors
Moody Blues
Genisis / Phil Collins
Electric Light Orchestra
Yes / Jon Anderson
Metallica
Supertramp

and of course,

Pink Floyd (and because of his genious and association with PF, The Alan Parson Project)

I respect all kinds of bands as long as they have musical integrity. Floyd, Zeppelin, Hendrix are awesome, but I like unusual music too like Kraftwerk and early Herbie Hancock. (Hell, my favorite classical piece is Bach's Brandenburg Concerto!) For an all around good sound, I always gravitated to U2. Mostly for Edge's guitar sounds. But, by rights, I should hate him... he ruined any guitar originality of my own because I became fixated on his sound. For the last 15 years through now, I can't NOT play like him!

1. Stevie ray vaughn
2. Johnny Cash
3. Nirvana
4. George Strait.
5. Garth Brooks.

In no particular order.

menschmaschine said:
For an all around good sound, I always gravitated to U2. Mostly for Edge's guitar sounds. But, by rights, I should hate him... he ruined any guitar originality of my own because I became fixated on his sound. For the last 15 years through now, I can't NOT play like him!
I feel that many new/modern bands are missing this factor, originality. Music should to be artistic and original; songs should be meaningful, they should evoke emotion. I think music is losing it's art, and I know because I work in a recording studio. Everything has to be edited perfectly, even though we are human we have to sound "perfect". However there are always those bands that keep it alive. They might not be famous but they have substance.

1. Jethro Tull
2. Beatles
3. Led Zeppelin
4. The Clash
4. Mahavishnu Orchestra

Those are the bands with amzing musicianship and creativity. If the question also included individual performers, it would be a vastly different list.

Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Van Halen
Queen
The Eagles
Metallica
Rush
AC/DC
Aerosmith
ZZ Top

I can't list just 5...the order depends on my mood....:mug:

Is there any other band? :rockin:

l_bdce1d089658f1e1f3f387bd66918be4.jpg

"The Greatest Rock And Roll Band In The World". Rolling Stones. "And the Leader doesn't even play an instrument".

Nice list BM. ;)

I could never settle on just 5, off the top of my head though:

Iggy & The Stooges
The Blasters/ Dave Alvin
The Clash
John Coltrane
NY Dolls/ Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers

Pink Floyd
Zep
Rush
Alice in Chains
Metallica
Guns N' Roses
Allman Bros.
Buddy Guy
Albert Collins
Eric Clapton

If I had to pick one, yes Floyd. Especially their earlier stuff. And yes I did enjoy Barrett.

Floyd
Dylan
Young

In no order;

Led Zeppelin
Pearl Jam
Soulive
Charlie Hunter
Bob Marley
Queens of the Stone Age
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Stone Temple Pilots
Beck

I'm sure there are more...

Alice in Chains
Metallica
Nirvana
Garth Brooks
Nine Inch Nails
Rush

Glad to see the classic rock getting lots of picks.

My favorite band ever would be The Velvet Underground.

My tastes are pretty wandering, but right now, I'm mostly listening to:

Pavement
Deerhoof
Pain
Fugazi
Flaming Lips

On the other hand, had I answered this question a few months ago, it would be:

Handsome Boy Modeling School
Edan
Beastie Boys
N.E.R.D.
Portishead