Jamil's Evil Twin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoalCracker

Reaction score
Looking to do this recipe but was wondering what adding some oats for creaminess would lend to it. Would it be worth it?

Don't do it. It's already velvety smooth as is. Seriously. Brew it as shown on Mr. Malty and enjoy. After you've tried the original, modify as needed.

MTB is right. I should probably brew it first. Don't want a bad first impression of the brew because I done f'd it up.

I got the chance to go to E.J. Phair and have Evil Twin on tap this summer, that was a perfect pint man

Probably the only change I'll make is using 2-row instead as that what I have on hand. I'll probably change out 10% of the 2-row with victory to up the maltiness.

Here's a question: has anybody brewed the original recipe for Evil Twin (or Evil Cousin) and then had Heretic's current version? I understand that they'd have to make some changes from the homebrew, and in fact "cloning" the homebrew version may be impossible, which they did a show about once.

I was just comparing the fact that the Evil Twin recipe on Mr Malty claims 20 IBUs, while Heretic's version claims 45. Makes me wonder if they're still doing the hop-bursting which I kinda feel is the signature of the recipe.

From what I read, they use a different scale. One is Tensith and the other I forget but it shows two different readings. The clone I'm doing is 38.something IBU

The homebrew version is calculated IBUs not measured (which heretics version is either measured or likely at least estimated?). Homebrew software usually doesn't calculate 0 minute additions as any IBUs when, in reality, the late hops contribute IBUs (even dry hops contribute perceived IBUs, even if they aren't measured at all). I've had the commercial and homebrew versions, not side by side, but the commercial version has to be dry hopped, had just about the best aroma I've ever experienced in a commercial beer where the homebrew recipe says that it is optional. If/when I brew this again I'll probably add at least 4 or so ounces of dry hops and I'd probably do a hot steep (like a whirlpool addition) instead of chilling right after flameout.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I was just listening to Can You Brew It (or maybe it was Brew Strong...?) and Jamil said that now at Heretic they only add hops to Evil Twin after flameout. Then they whirlpool for about 20 minutes or so. I think he said the first time he got the IBUs measured they were a little higher than he wanted. Like maybe around 60 something? Just thought that was pretty interesting.

Jamil said they're getting much more efficency in the whirlpool than they expected. So from the sounds of it, ya, the only hop addition in the kettle is during the whirlpool. It's Citra and Columbus if memory serves me right.

I'd guess the recipe is slightly different at the commercial level than the homebrew level. But I wouldn't worry all that much. Brew up the homebrew version, it's an awesome beer. Use some Citra and Columbus if you like.

I love evil twin! on of my favs.... hope my 5 gal Ive got fermenting turns out decent

Jamil said they're getting much more efficency in the whirlpool than they expected. So from the sounds of it, ya, the only hop addition in the kettle is during the whirlpool. It's Citra and Columbus if memory serves me right.

I'd guess the recipe is slightly different at the commercial level than the homebrew level. But I wouldn't worry all that much. Brew up the homebrew version, it's an awesome beer. Use some Citra and Columbus if you like.

Are you sure on Columbus on Citra? I haven't had any in a while, but I swear there was Centennial and maybe Amarillo in it just like the homebrew version..I am pretty bad at differntiating aromas/flavors though so I wouldn't be surprised if I was off, but I don't remember the dank flavors I associate with CTZ, more citrus/grapefruit.

If he isn't dry hopping this beer I would be shocked and amazed - it has insane hop aroma - and I'm someone that does whirlpool hot steeps in just about every hoppy beer I make (and usually still dry hop). My wife was getting mad at me for making so many annoying smelling/huffing noises when I had it.

Are you sure on Columbus on Citra? I haven't had any in a while, but I swear there was Centennial and maybe Amarillo in it just like the homebrew version..I am pretty bad at differntiating aromas/flavors though so I wouldn't be surprised if I was off, but I don't remember the dank flavors I associate with CTZ, more citrus/grapefruit.

If he isn't dry hopping this beer I would be shocked and amazed - it has insane hop aroma - and I'm someone that does whirlpool hot steeps in just about every hoppy beer I make (and usually still dry hop). My wife was getting mad at me for making so many annoying smelling/huffing noises when I had it.

Haha, yeah my wife thinks I'm dumb when I take a big loud whiff of my beers too. Sometimes I exaggerate just to be annoying, but smelling it deeply does help me to enjoy it more.

Anyway, on the show I'm pretty sure he did say they use Columbus and Citra. I'm not sure when they recorded that show though so who knows if that's what they're still doing. I don't think it was too long ago though, maybe 2011 or 2012. I can't remember if they dry hop it or not.

Their head brewer -- Chris Kennedy posted here on homebrew talk about a year ago. Citra and Columbus.

It might have changed since, I have no other reference.

Back