Full boil vs partial boil adjustments.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4traindays

Reaction score
I'm making the transition to full boil extract brewing, however most all if the recipes that I have seen are for partial boiling. What adjustments are necessary to make these recipes pertinent to full boiling? I recently purchased a clone brews recipe book and would like to make these recipes in a full 5 gallon batch. Thanks.

There are two main differences that I know. First is that you will get slighly more IBUs. I cant quantify that for you, but my feel is a around 10% more utilization. Also your color will be lighter than your used to with partial boils, not really a problem per se, but something to be aware of if color is an issue for you.

As a side note, if you dont have one consider a chiller. If your doing full boils you'll be wating a long time to pitch with an ice bath.

I do currently have a wort chiller, so I'm prepared for that issue. So, can I just follow my partial boil recipes, just with more water? Also, to account for evaporation, and yo end with 5 gallons, how much water should I begin with? 5.5 gallons?

Yeah same recipes unless you want to adjust your bittering hop down a little.

As to boil off, I usually lose about 1 gal or so per hour of boiling. Your number might vary. I think there might be a chart or table somewhere but Im going to need someone else to point you to it.

I actually find it harder to get down to five because I always end up using too much water trying to get every drop out of the extract contaner. If you ever use the Williams Brewiing extract bags you can used 2 gallons just trying to clean those out.

I have always used the same recipes and have no complaints. I usually start with 6.5 gal and hit 5 gallons at 60 mins. But that is with a propane burner.

Back