Fresh hops amounts!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fresh hops, dry hops, and pellets. all three require different amounts / %

SouthtownsBrewing2011 said:
After i pick them and dry them i put them in ziplock bags and then the freezer! This is what i am talking about.

This ratio (4-5:1) is pretty standard for any fresh:dried herb conversion. Fresh herbs/hops have a lot of water mass. Obviously, dried herbs/hops have less water mass, so you need less of them to get the same flavor (they're more "concentrated")

Of course, YMMV

After i pick them and dry them i put them in ziplock bags and then the freezer! This is what i am talking about.

Once they are dry, they are used the same as other whole leaf hops. You won't know the AA%, but for flavor and aroma hops the same amount is used.

I don't usually use my homegrown hops for bittering because I don't know the AAUs, but I use them often in 20/10/5/0/dryhopping additions with good results.

I think OP's still waiting for consensus on his question. ;)

Is the conversion from leaf to pellet 10% as SkyHighBrew88 mentioned?

Yes, but it's negligible for figuring IBUs. The difference of 10% is not much when you're considering 5.5% AAU hops, for example.

Most software programs (if using software) will take that into consideration, so you get the "correct" IBUs when you add an ounce of leaf hops or pellet hops.

badbrew said:

This doesn't seem to be the OP's question. At least not how I read it. I believe he's after the fresh/wet hops to dried hops conversion, which, as mentioned above, is in the 4-5 to 1 range.

This doesn't seem to be the OP's question. At least not how I read it. I believe he's after the fresh/wet hops to dried hops conversion, which, as mentioned above, is in the 4-5 to 1 range.

That's what I thought at first, but then he said:

So, to summarize:
Wet(fresh) hops:dry hops = ~5:1
Dry hops:dry pellets = ~1.1:1

You can use you homegrown dried whole hops the same way you would use storebought dried whole hops.

I would use the same amount. Actually I do use the same amount. I would think that you get more bitterness, etc. out of dried leaf hops than the pellets.

Maybe it is comparable to using whole tea vs. tea bags (which Ducky on NCIS called tea dust).

According to homebrewjunkie.com:

"So you go to your local homebrew supply store and they have both pellet hops and whole leaf hops and you're not sure which ones to get because you don't know the difference between the two. Well, it's really quite simple. Pellet hops are just pulverized whole leaf hops that look like rabbit food and there are some differences between them. Since pellet hops are pulverized and crushed up during processing, this also crushes up the lupilin glands in the hops. What does this mean? It means that you will be able to isomerize the alpha acids in the hops better and gain a higher extraction rate. This translates to mean that you'll get more bitterness out of your hops. However, this does not mean that you won't get the same out of whole leaf. Since whole leaf hops aren't processed then they aren't as harshly handled. So that means there are MORE lupilin glands in whole leaf hops, which also means that whole leaf hops generally have a higher alpha acid rating. Usually, pellet hops have a lower alpha acid rating than whole leaf hops. Let's say that cascade pellet hops have a 6.0% rating, if you look at whole leaf of the same variety they'll have a higher alpha acid rating of say 6.8%. Because of this I firmly believe that you get the same utilization out of either kind of hop."

The article goes on to opine that whole hops are better for dry hopping.

As a follow-up on my own message, the article I quoted above doesn't seem totally accurate in all areas as per my experience. For example, it says that your lose the same amount of wort to fresh hops vs. pelletized. This can't be correct based on my experience.

Back