pumkin cider stuck!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampcider

Reaction score
1 gal-- pumkin puree,no presv./hand pressed apple/1 cup white sugar/pasteaur red yeast....60 degrees/1.060 sg........30 days later 1.056.
does pumkin have a enzyme in it or something? i think it is a great combo if i can pull it off.and me wifes pet name is punkin!!! dont tell any one......thx

I'm pretty sure that yeast strain will allow for pretty high fermenting temps. Up in to the 80s if I remember correctly. I'd try warming it up into the low to mid 70s and see if you can kick start it. I'd be concerned about it being 30 days old and not having the SG drop more than a few points. Did you smell and taste the sample when you took the gravity reading?

yes, and its acceptable at this point. i did move it up off ground about 10 inches.i have a 4x6 space in shop thats closed in and heated.im in oregon and days are 35degrees avg right now.so i suspected that the yeast was too cool on the floor for some reason. although all my other 40+ batches did well all winter in there. the space is 60 deg. 10" off floor all day also.most batches went to 1.000 in 21 or shorter days.
havent heard of pumkin issues yet?

I've never tried pumpkin in a cider before, so I haven't encountered any issues with it. There are plenty of Pumpkin ales out there being made with the Libby's canned stuff, so I imagine it should be pretty solid.

Back