Carbonation System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradydennis

Reaction score
I had this given to me but I'm not sure what to do with it. I know it's s carbonation system used by a local connivence store. I have no idea what the scale of a system like this is. If I could use it to carbonate something other than water it could be useful. This picture is from eBay and the item is selling for 100$ BIN, so I don't plan to sell it hastily.

image-1200783792.jpg

Oh, nice score, I'm not 100% sure on the price comparisons but I know some are more expensive, especially new. It's an inline carbonator (Mccanns) and you'll need a few more things to go with it depending on your desired setup. You'll be attaching it to the water line and a co2 tank and will be either sending the carbonated water through a flashchiller set in an icebank, or you will be sending it to a keg so that it refills with carbonated water as you use water from it. Here's some info about chilling https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f95/carbonator-fridge-274648/
Or of course you can send it to a soda machine that processes bag-in-a-box soda syrups.
Here's just one of the setups you might use: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f95/carbonator-installed-261089/
And this type of thing would be another Lancer Corporation | CED 500
Or you could have a soda gun in use.

You can go up to constant use with something like that really, and you're then looking at just flow rate of the model to determine your limit, or rather, your speed at distribution, and if you're not at a bar or resturaunt where you have lots of customers it should be fine, it would be plenty for a household.

It's a carbonator as KevinM said, basically the guts out of any soda fountain you'll find today. I paid around $150 for a whole used & abused soda fountain that had on. New or good shape used I think they run $200-500 or so.

soda fountain dispenser carbonator pump

All they are is a float valve & pressure sensor on a stainless tank with a pump. Water goes into the tank via the pump & a couple of check valves. When the float valve drops, the pump turns on & forces more water into the tank at around 100psi. You CO2 is also run straight into the tank at just under 100psi. CO2 dissolves in & the whole lot flows on out. They run at 100psi or so to get the CO2 in fast at room temperature.

Either hose length or a regulator of some sort is needed to bring things down to serving pressure. Some sort of cooling device is needed after this unit as well.

Thank you that is allot of great information. My friend demos and remodels stores. I need to educate him on the various other parts that are needed with this systems. Regulator, flash chiller. I think I will use mine to carbonate a keg of water and use syrups to imitate the old time soda jerk. Pr the sodas from Olive Garden that my wife and kids love!

Back