Mini Fridge Fermentation Chamber for 2.5g Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammy33

Reaction score
I have had a 3.1 cu. ft. mini fridge in use as a beer fridge for a while. I decided to convert it to a fermentation chamber for small 2.5g batches. The 3g Better Bottle fits the height no problem (with an airlock) but the door shelves get in the way of closing the door.

Time for some DIY modifications!

First step (after drinking all the beer that was left) was to defrost. The Rubbermaid lid and container catches all the water/ice. Left for about two hours and defrosting was complete.

Here is what I am trying to fit. Please note the little guy is not going in the mini fridge but he insisted on being in the picture. :rolleyes: The 3g Better Bottle is larger than you might think! 7.5"w X 23.5"h (with airlock)

After defrosting, the next step in converting this mini fridge to a fermentation chamber was to remove the door shelves. I took out all the screws under the door seal to remove the entire panel.

I took the seal off the door panel and cut the shelves off using a utility knife with a new blade. I left enough material so the plastic was still rigid enough to support the door seal.

The plastic on the door shelf is very thin so the utility knife went through it fairly easily.

I then replaced the door seal using the "frame" I had cut out of the door shelves. I think I can fit two 3g better bottles in here with a few more mods!

I added a piece of fairly thick sheet plastic to protect the backing paper on the inside of the door. I was concerned that moisture might cause some mold on the backing paper?

Here is the Ranco dual stage controller I am going to use on my mini fridge fermentation chamber. This one is currently running my reef aquarium so I will need to replace it. Good excuse to upgrade to a ReefKeeper!

I am planning on trying some experimental recipes and some lagers with this setup. I will take more pics as I progress along. It looks like a second 3g Better Bottle will fit but I will probably have to cut the shelf supports as it looks like it will be a tight fit otherwise.

I'm thinking about doing this same thing, anything come up since you made this? Any mold on the backing paper? Did you make any further mods to accommodate another fermentation vessel? Or is there anything else you wish you would've done?

Just trying to get the details worked out so I can find an appropriate fridge. Thanks!

ShaLah- I never got a second one to try it. One fits perfect and the measurements and test fit suggests a second one will fit.

Back