Stainless Stackable presurizable fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burbelly

Reaction score
I want get as much density as possible for my fermentation chamber. I was wondering if anyone has found stainless cans that can be pressurized so that I can forgo the airlock and stack them on top of each other.

What kind of fermentation chamber are we talking about? Chest freezer? Upright freezer? SOFC?

Have you ruled out corny kegs? They're (usually) only 5 gals, so using them for primaries on 5-gal batches might get hairy... But, they're (relatively) cheap, and could likely stack pretty well, assuming you get the type with rubber handles on top, not the single-handle all-stainless versions.

I haven't built this chamber yet. It'll be for ales and cooled with a portable air conditioner that I already have. It cools to a nice 65 degrees. I'd like to keep the primary fermenters at 6-7 gallons. I''d use cornys but they are too small. Those drums would bw nice but would blow my budget.

What's wrong with Ale Pails? They stack, they are 6-8 gal, you could even put a blow off tube near the edge of the top rim...

Quarter-barrel Sankes are 7.75 gallons, and will likely stack well with the barproducts.com keg stackers or spacers. Those spacers would even allow for an airlock...

Kegs stack pretty easily even without the keg stacker/ spacer thing. Especially if they are full. I would use 1/4 barrel kegs with no spear and a orange carboy caps hose clamped on top. With the carboy cap you could have them vented and still stack them without a spacer. Then just run all off the blowoff tubes to one jug of water or sanitizer.

+1 to kegs....and I'd just keep the spear in...it'll help you remove the sediment and/or harvest yeast.

I like the quarter keg option. It's a great size and will definitely stack well. I had considered plastic buckets but decided I wanted the longevity of stainless. the 1/4 kegs will offer a great solution. I just need to find some!

It's kind of funny....your original post pretty much describes a keg in every sense except for the actual word, "keg"!

It certainly does! I just overlooked the 1/4 kegs completely. When I think small kegs, I think corny kegs. It would never occur to me to buy just 7 gallons of beer when 15 gallons costs you the same in gasoline...

I think you may have cleaning and racking issues with the opaque vessel. Keep us posted on your source and process, interesting.

You'd think that....but a good 15 minutes in a keg washer or even a carboy brush will work wonders. There are very few downsides to kegs, other than the higher startup costs for fittings, etc. This is offset by their high value retention...you can sell them back for as much or more than you paid!

Oh...yeah, good point....the OP is going to need to use a spunding valve or even just a carboy cap.

Back