can you split a package of dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agezzi

Reaction score
Ok...so I have one package of Nottingham.I'm wanting to brew two batches, but wont have time to order more yeast before my family is in town. If I take it and make a starter for each half (in my head this should still make a pitch-able cell count ) will it do what I want with out any problems? As well should I treat my starter water for chloramine? Which I do have in my tap water....Thanks fellow brewers...Cheers :mug:

Will it work yes, I would not go through the effort to do the starters. But how will it taste, that is the question. If your going to serve it to non-trained beer drinkers, they will love it, but it's not going to be a great beer. If you send it to a competition it's likely to score <20.

If it were me, I'd pitch the whole pack in the first batch, then when it's going good, top crop to the second batch.

the og for both will b under 1.060, about 1.050. and what do u mean by top crop to 2nd batch

When the first batch developes krausen, stick a tube down through the stopper so the krausen is pushed out and into the second fermentor (like a blow off tube). This krausen is rich in yeast and will inoculate the second batch.

ok....wow never heard of that...how well will it work. im always a little iffy on the un-known

I've never done it but have read several posts where people say it works fantastic. Do a search for "top cropping".

Back