SRM Formula

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LS_Grimmy

Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

Ok I'm creating my Excel sheet for my mini mashes and I'm adding the SRM calculations. (ºL x lbs grain)/gallons of brew)

My question is how do also add in the SRM from my liquid extract (8.1) and the DME SRM (8). Do I use the same formula with the SRM value and the quantity in pounds as I would use with the grain then add them all up?

Thanks,
LS_Grimmy

I have the link in my signature for my Excel sheet if you wanna look at it

Don't know if I can be of much help to you. Have you tried downloading
a program such as Strangebrew or promash or beersmith. All have trial
versions, and will tell you your SRM if you input your ingredients.

Ya Im trying to stay away from the calculators and make my own but I guess I can check my results via the calculators

Thanks,
Marc

SRM=((Efficiency*0.8)*Grain weight in LBS *º Lovibond)/Gallons

I use a look up table to do it.

My sheets messed up at present because I'm changing so many things but I'll email you the latest with the SRM stuff and look up tables.

The sheets coming along nicely Grimmy.

I believe this is correct. Just substitute the LOV rating which is in lb/gal. I did one conversion (my first recipe was an extract) and recalled using that. The conversion came out so very close and it was a calculated blend of crystal malts...and I am fairly certain that is all I did. The real problem was finding the LOV rating of the DME!

Cool thanks orfy I would love to see that email from you for sure. I'll have to see were I missed the Efficiency*0.8 part of the equations but thanks for the help.

I've been working on my sheet for a while now. I want a better understanding of the formula's so I can better understand everything that is going on. Plus I like formula's and excel ;)

Anyone else done this before?

Thanks,
LS_Grimmy

got another question

My coopers real ale kit is 8.1 Srm's

Now do I just add this value to the calculated Srm's from the grain and Dme or do I use the formula and add the results to the grand total:
lbs x Deg Lovibond / gallons of wort = ____

All my grain/Dme addes up to about 6 srm's so would I add the 8 srm's to this for a total of 14 Srm's?

Other than that Im good to go. Any Idea? If your confused on what I mean take a look at MY BEER LOG in on the link in my signature :)

Thanks for the help,
LS_Grimmy

Obviously the SRM of the kit would be only accurate for a certain weight/volume of wort. So it needs plugging into the formula but the effieciency does not effect it.

LS_Grimmy said:
Cool thanks orfy I would love to see that email from you for sure. I'll have to see were I missed the Efficiency*0.8 part of the equations but thanks for the help.

I've been working on my sheet for a while now. I want a better understanding of the formula's so I can better understand everything that is going on. Plus I like formula's and excel ;)

Anyone else done this before?

Thanks,
LS_Grimmy

I have done it, just used the formula that brewsmith uses. I did come across an article about the color measurements, and like much in brewing it is not an exact measurement but a close approximation. I am still working on my spreadsheet as well.

Thanks for all the info:

What I did is just reverse the formula and figure out the Lovibond per gallon and then add it into the formula

So I pretty much think I have it all good to go

Thanks for the info all.... Cheers,
Marc

welcome. If you ever need to convert DME to grain lovibond there are formulas floating around for that (like how to figure out what Muntons Amber is in the equivalent of grains)

Back