iPod & iPhone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty73741

Reaction score
am i th only one that think these are the most evil things ever. That is MS did the same thing, that they be in court with an anti trust law suit. The software takes over your PC. Itunes suck a big one.

I'm sure you arent the only one..but I love my iPod. What do you mean by "that is MS did the same thing"? Im assuming you meant, "IF Microsoft did the same thing", but i dont know what "same thing" means.

I don't think iTunes takes over your PC, but I guess I don't know. I have a MAC. If you install iTunes on a PC does it prevent other apps from running, like Windows Media Player?

Didn't Microsoft try to do that with the Microsoft Zune? Also some might say that Windows Media Player takes over your machine from the day you install windows... just a thought.

I've been using iTunes for quite some time now, and it's never taken over my computer. I suppose, if you don't know how to set the preferences for file/.exe associations, and you didn't bother to check/uncheck the right boxes for which file types iTunes and quicktime would be associated with when you installed it, then you might have issues, but, that's just a user issue.

I don't think Itunes has taken over. As previously stated you simply have to pay attention to the file associations.
However I do not like the way Itunes works. I want to be able to make Folders and name them the way I want to. Then load them to my Ipod Touch and access them as I made them. Itunes only gives me the folders that "They" decided I want, Music, TVshows, Podcasts, etc. Then it automatically alphabetizes everything. If I load a video I want it at the top, first one on the list easy to find.

Can't you accomplish this with Playlists and Smartlists? And if i'm not mistaken you can sort your lists by varying types. Name, Date, Size, etc...

I think the complaint is that itunes/quicktime has a lot of background processes that are running even when you don't have the GUI up. I can understand why that would piss someone off. That said, I'm a big fan of itunes/ipod. It has taken a lot of the workload off of setting up the search parameters in my mp3 library.

The only resource that runs while the GUI is not open is the iTunes helper. It 'listens' or detects a connection to the iPod and automatically launches iTunes when an iPod is connected. You could change the status of this service in Windows to Manual versus automatic and it would no longer run, but then iTunes wouldn't launch when an iPod was docked. You would have to open it manually.

Not a problem for me because I want itunes to listen for an ipod. I'm just saying that it is one of the things that may bother people. Sure you can turn it off, but most people don't get that right away. Apple probably should have made the default setting "off" until an ipod is detected and then ask the user.

Can't you accomplish this with Playlists and Smartlists? And if i'm not mistaken you can sort your lists by varying types. Name, Date, Size, etc...

I can do that in Itunes. But when I sync to my Touch it all goes alphabetical.

Here is my biggest issue. I like to load old sitcoms or shows to watch as I exercise. They generally have a long file name like "Northern.Exposure.S03E01.DVDRip.XviD-SFM.avi.MP4" After they are on the Ipod Touch the names are so long it is hard to tell the new from old.
I know there are work arounds like changing the names to a number or something like that. But I just want to organize my Library my way.

I'm not bustin A.. I'm hoping someone here has a solution.

By that file name it looks like you are ripping them yourself. Could you just create a different naming convention that started with the date or season/episode number? This would put them in your order even alphabetically.

i.e. S3Ep1.NorthernExposure......etc

?? just a thought

Yes you are right. It is more of a neusense than anything. I could change the way I name things. I am usually in more of a hurry while Rip'n and Load'n than when listening or watching. So I always eventually find the one I want, and move on. Then someone will bring up Itunes and off I go! Hoping to find an easy solution.

this is what i was saying. MS had an antitrust lawsuit because they gave away their browser & it took over certain thing in the OS. Well the iphone, ipod etc etc are doing the same thing, but since Apple has the nice guy computer company image it is no big deal. I like the Generic Mp3 player I have. just make list drag & drop

am i th only one that think these are the most evil things ever. That is MS did the same thing, that they be in court with an anti trust law suit. The software takes over your PC. Itunes suck a big one.

I love my Ipod but thats as far as I will go. I think the Iphone is dumb. Most people who buy Iphones get them because they have to have the new/coolest things. Yes the internet is good on a phone, yes a GPS is good, yes email is good. I dont need any of it though. I have a verizon razor and its a little over 2 years old. Never had a problem with it. Im going to get a new phone soon but not the Iphone. I cant wait for like a year when Verizon comes out with some kind of new phone/thing and you see all these AT&T uses b#tching and crying about their Iphones and how they want to go back to Verizon.

Iphone = People who want to feel like they live in the Star Trek Universe.

Ipod sucks! My daughter had her 80 gig video in the bathtub and sank it. Cant belive it did not hold up to that:p
If only you knew how many times I told her what a bad idea that was... then it happened.
E-mail on a phone.... I have not been getting mine. i am off of work and honestly, I am not missing not getting my work email.

I have used iTunes for a couple of years now and no funny business yet... Not to mention I have both an iPhone and an iPod and still am amazed by their awesomeness.

problem i have with i tunes is how you can only dl songs to 2 computers. If i buy a file/music i want 100% right to do with what ever i want. if i;m buying usage of a file/mp3 charge me a flat fee not, a per song bs price.

problem i have with i tunes is how you can only dl songs to 2 computers. If i buy a file/music i want 100% right to do with what ever i want. if i;m buying usage of a file/mp3 charge me a flat fee not, a per song bs price.

I thought the license for a song purchase through itunes is 7 computers. . .probably wrong though.

So quit buying crap from iTunes. You can get non-DRM'd MP3's right from Amazon that can be played anywhere anytime and on any number of devices. You needn't fool around with Apple's restrictive nonsense.

I've had many iPods and they're generally very nice, but I like my 80 GB Zune more than any iPod I've owned. Of course, I've never owned a an iPod Touch so I can't speak to that one. I do think it's sort of a shame that people just mindlessly buy iPods when there are a number of other devices that are more feature rich.

IT not a product issue for me or itunes. I just feel in fairness that apple has an unfair monopoly on the MP3 market. Just like MS had when IE came out. You just answered my issue
You needn't fool around with Apple's restrictive nonsense.

If I own something why is it being restricted

itunes is a clunky piece of **** and I hate that I have to use it to manage my mobile devices. That said the iPhone is the greatest anything ever and I would hate to have to live without mine.

IT not a product issue for me or itunes. I just feel in fairness that apple has an unfair monopoly on the MP3 market. Just like MS had when IE came out. You just answered my issue
You needn't fool around with Apple's restrictive nonsense.

First off, how do they have a monopoly on the MP3 market? And how is it unfair? You keep stating your opinions on such matters, but you never say why. What's unfair? How is it a monopoly to offer up a product that a lot of people like and use? Why is it off-limits to make software to go with your product that works exclusively with said product? I mean, hell, there are literally thousands of consumer electronics that use proprietary software that works only with that product---so?

Look, I can (and have) used an mp3 player that isn't from Apple, and have bought mp3's from places other than iTMS. I think you're confusing "large market share due to a successful product" with "unfair monopoly".

If I own something why is it being restricted

Plenty of things in life are like that. I own lots of books; doesn't mean I can copy the books and put my name on it and sell them as my own works. Just because you've purchased something doesn't mean you should be free to do whatever you want with it. If I were allowed to purchase, for instance, microsoft office and then copy and distribute it for free to everyone without any repercussions, then it would quickly become unprofitable to produce software. In a digital world where products are often no more than lines of code that can easily be copied, there are a great number of ethical questions that we need to answer. But even the most die-hard dudes at the EFF aren't exactly arguing for free distribution of proprietary products.

First off, how do they have a monopoly on the MP3 market? And how is it unfair? You keep stating your opinions on such matters, but you never say why. What's unfair? How is it a monopoly to offer up a product that a lot of people like and use? Why is it off-limits to make software to go with your product that works exclusively with said product? I mean, hell, there are literally thousands of consumer electronics that use proprietary software that works only with that product---so?

Look, I can (and have) used an mp3 player that isn't from Apple, and have bought mp3's from places other than iTMS. I think you're confusing "large market share due to a successful product" with "unfair monopoly".

Plenty of things in life are like that. I own lots of books; doesn't mean I can copy the books and put my name on it and sell them as my own works. Just because you've purchased something doesn't mean you should be free to do whatever you want with it. If I were allowed to purchase, for instance, microsoft office and then copy and distribute it for free to everyone without any repercussions, then it would quickly become unprofitable to produce software. In a digital world where products are often no more than lines of code that can easily be copied, there are a great number of ethical questions that we need to answer. But even the most die-hard dudes at the EFF aren't exactly arguing for free distribution of proprietary products.

Thats the rub I am talking about I buy a book, i read it then i want to sell it, i Can because i dont own the content, but I own the book. with digitial MP3's I cant do that. Why did MS have a antitrust lawsuit, because of their browser & netscape thought it was unfair. Well if i;m a start up & have great Mp3 player I will have a hard time, getting computer manufatures, etc etc to even look at my product & software because of Apple dominence in the market. IE same thing that netscape used against MS

Thats the rub I am talking about I buy a book, i read it then i want to sell it, i Can because i dont own the content, but I own the book. with digitial MP3's I cant do that.

Software is different than reselling a book or CD, because software can, in the absence of protective measures, be copied and recopied ad infinitum. If you were to do that with a book---take it to Kinko's and get 1000 copies made, then sell (or even distribute for free) each copy---then I guaran-damn-tee you'd be breaking the law.

Why did MS have a antitrust lawsuit, because of their browser & netscape thought it was unfair. Well if i;m a start up & have great Mp3 player I will have a hard time, getting computer manufatures, etc etc to even look at my product & software because of Apple dominence in the market. IE same thing that netscape used against MS

Well, personally, I still disagree with the suit against MS, but that's another issue. As it pertains to this one, the reason MS was found at fault was because their products actively excluded other products from entire operating systems, and these were installed at the factory on many PC's from major retailers like Dell. iTunes, on the other hand, isn't trying to exclude other mp3's---I use mp3's (unprotected non-DRM) on iTunes just fine. Nobody's forcing you to use iTunes, either, and nobody's forcing you to use their DRM-laced iTMS songs, and nothing they're doing is preventing you from getting your music elsewhere.

As for you being a startup and having a hard time getting a market share---so? That doesn't define a monopoly. Again, I think you're confused as to what a monopoly is. I simply think that your parallel between this Apple and MS is off the mark...because MS's software was automatically installed at the factory at many different PC retailers, it was integral to the operating system, it actively sought to prohibit competitors' products from being used, etc. The only time iTunes is installed at the factory is on Mac's, which are a proprietary system anyway (unlike PC's which are made by everyone). There's nothing about iTunes that prevents you from using another piece of software, either. So where is this parallel? You incorrectly infer that it was MS's market dominance that led to their lawsuit, when in fact it was how they achieved that market dominance (namely pieces of the OS which actively excluded other competitors' software) that got them in trouble.

Saying Apple has a monopoly on mp3 players is like saying ESPN has a monopoly on sports news or Budweiser/Coors has a monopoly on beer. They are the best known brands and have a dominate market share, but there are literally dozens of other products out there to choose from, many that are superior to their bigger brothers

I am not really a fan of any of apple's recent products, but the OP comparison really isn't fair.

Sure iTunes blows, but it's not that hard to get rid of. I think the business model is what bothered him (very locked down hardware, they really push you into using itunes). It bothers me, but Billy boy has his own little circle in hell IMO and this doesn't even come close.

They don't have a monopoly on mp3 players, they simply are the most popular producer of them. And it's not because of their shady business tactics or bundling practices (which is what got microsoft burned, as mentioned above).

You don't "have" to you know. My IPod Nano works just great without ITunes.

Yep, but they sure push you to. They should have just made the damn thing accessible as a drive.... i don't want any stupid utilities to manage my files for me.

Yep, but they sure push you to. They should have just made the damn thing accessible as a drive.... i don't want any stupid utilities to manage my files for me.
It is accessible as a drive! You can download programs and drag and drop to an iPod. People need to do research before buying **** or at least learn how to use Google. Its really helpful. You dont need to use iTunes. I didnt like the version released a few years ago so I used a different program. Crazy I know.

It is accessible as a drive! You can download programs and drag and drop to an iPod. People need to do research before buying **** or at least learn how to use Google. Its really helpful. You dont need to use iTunes. I didnt like the version released a few years ago so I used a different program. Crazy I know.

The iPhone is not fully accessible as far as I know, and that's what I was referring to. Thanks for the unnecessary abrasiveness though.

The iPhone is not fully accessible as far as I know, and that's what I was referring to. Thanks for the unnecessary abrasiveness though.
I dont know about the iPhone and the abrasiveness was directed to those who ***** about the makers of products when they dont know how to use them not you.

Back