Question on 2 year old ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cornfed

Reaction score
Greetings. I think I last brewed a batch about 2 years ago. I had also purchased a kit from homebrew.com at the time which I never got around to brewing.

I assume the grains are now stale and not use-able. Is that right? How about the hop pellets? And the DME? All of that is nicely sealed in the original containers.

I need to buy new yeast, so that's not in the equation here.

Also, how about 2 year old One Step sanitizer? Is that still good?

And 2 year old priming sugar?

And 2 year old Carb Tabs?

Thanks for any help. I just bought new tubing and such and am going to get another pot and a wort chiller and try this hobby again. I realize I should probably just pitch everything and start over, but I thought I'd ask....

Thanks,
Dave

The hops are probably not any good anymore, odds are they oxidized. If the DME was kept dry and sealed, that's probably alright (but if it was opened, it's no good). I've never used 2-step, but the priming tabs and sugar should be fine.

Many thanks! Meanwhile, I may pick up some Star San after doing some reading on the topic. This is a great forum!

Some updates....

I took a closer look at things and it seems everything is packed so nicely that it's hard to throw anything out. This was the High Sierra Pale Ale kit from homebrew.com.

Doing a little poking, I read somewhere about DME lasting for about a year before it starts to degrade if packed well. This stuff is packed very well and is airtight.

I also read about hop pellets lasting about 1 year if packed in airtight containers and refrigerated. These were airtight but kept at room temp.

I just ordered new grains since they were only about $1.55, anyway.

Also, ordered some new liquid yeast and Star San.

I figure I'll use the old carbtabs and/or priming sugar.

I looked and it turns out I ordered this stuff exactly 1 year and 7 months ago. My guess is the extract is fine but the hops are questionable. I guess I'll give them a smell and see how fresh they smell before brewing, but at this point, I think I'm going to try to use these ingredients. I guess worst case is it will be a waste of my time (hopefully nothing lethal will result :)

I wouldn't worry about anything lethal but I would be concerned about hops stored at room temp for that long. You will still probably get some bitterness out of them but no where near where they should be.

Back