Crème Glacée à la Kriek (Cherry-beer Ice Cream)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtopia

"Greenwood Aged Beer"
Reaction score
I know Summer is still 3 months off, but I got a hankerin' to make this wonderful Cherry beer ice cream.

Ingredients
6 egg yolks
2 1/4 cups half and half
2 x 15oz. cans piited black cherries
1 1/2 bottles Kriek

Whisk the egg yolks until thick and light. Bring the half and half to the boil point and pour onto the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Return the mixture to the pan and cook over gentle heat, stirring constantly until it thickens to a light coating consistency. Cool over ice.

Reduce the cherries and their syrup with two thirds of the beer until the liquid is very thick.

Place in a blender or food processor with the cooled egg mixture and the remaining Kriek and blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into an ice-cream freezer and process until firm.

Ingredients - I like to use Oregon Fruit Products Cherries and my preferred Kriek is from Liefmans. The Liefmans Kriek provides just the right amount of tartness without being overly sweet. (Lindeman's Kriek Lambic would be too sweet and another Lambic like Cantillon or Boon would be too acidic)
001Ingredients 2.JPG

Cooling the custard
002Cooling Custard.jpg

Add cherries to heat
003 cans cherries.jpg

Add the beer
004add bottled of beer.jpg

Reduce over high heat
005reduce over high heat.jpg

Reduce until thickened
006to a thick syrup.jpg

Combine with cooled custard mixture and remaining Kriek and blend until smooth
007blend.jpg

Place into ice-cream freezer
008pour in icecream maker.jpg

Pour into container and freeze
009place in container to freeze.jpg

Enjoy
010enjoy.jpg

That looks awesome Brewtopia, way better than the plain vanilla I'm eating with a glass of Copper Hook summer ale on the side.

Thanks for posting this up Topia.. Im getting a bottle of that this week to send off, looks like ill get two, so I can make this some time.

Back