Dubbel-ish sour, impressions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiroux

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have made up that recipe, please tell me what you think, and what kind of bugs would be great with it.

82% Pilsner
6% Flaked wheat
3% Special B
3% Munich
3% Vienna
3% D-1 Candi Syrup

Styrian Golding for 10-15 ibus

Mash at 155*F

OG 1.058
Primary with WLP500 - Trappist
Primary SG expected - 1.012 (6.1%abv)
Secondary with bugs, SG expected - 1.005-8 (Around 7% after bottle carb)

(12 SRM)

I have 3 ideas for the bugs

1: WLP655 - Belgian Sour mix 1
2: WLP665 - Flemish Ale
3: WLP645 (Brett C) + WLP650 (Brett B) + WLP653 (Brett L) + WLP677 (Lacto D)

I think the Flemish ale would be good from the list but what first came to mind is you can't go wrong with the dregs of jolly pumpkin.

I have a lacto only soured dubbel. It's 8% dark rummy and sour. It even had a substantial hop bitterness a well. Its been a year since I brewed it though. I used ECY09 and ECY lacto that I isolated but I am sure you could get similar results with the lactose in ECY 23 if you can acquire some......

Secondary with bugs, SG expected - 1.005-8 (Around 7% after bottle carb)
the bugs laugh at your expectations.

seriously tho, how do you know it will stop at 1.005? brett and bugs can take you down to 1.000 or lower. you can yell "STOP!" at them all you want, they won't listen. i wouldn't bottle at 1.005 unless i was sure everyone was done partying in there.

as far as a recommendation goes, WLP665 sounds the most interesting. your option #3 sounds needlessly expensive. unless you can get all that yeast & bugs for free, i wouldn't buy 4 vials when 1 has such a mix. you don't need a big inoculation rate, one mixed vial is plenty.

ah, i didn't know you were making such a big batch. in this case i would consider upping the dose to 2 or 3 vials. one would work too, it would just take longer.

Finally, we decided not to had lacto, so no sourness. Only bretts. I will probably go with 2 brett strains, so there will be my 2 vials. Bruxellensis and Lambicus!

Dubbel aux deux bretts!

Back