Weldless keggle hole size issue (possible)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milesvdustin

Reaction score
So I got the new soldered bulkhead kits from bargain fittings for my keggles. I have a 1/2" punch which makes a 7/8" hole. The hole is slightly bigger than the recommended 13/16" size. Will the slight gap around the bulkhead nipple cause issues with the setup or will it still get tight enough? I would rather punch all the holes instead of using a step bit on them.

Ok, I was just checking because you can wiggle it a bit in the hole without the coupling tightened. I'll assemble it on a test hole and double check it.

I'm debating whether I should use a 7/8" (1/2" conduit) punch or go buy a 13/16" punch. Is it worth the investment for me to pick up a 13/16" punch? What kind of success/leakage are you getting with your 7/8" hole?

I did two kegs with the 1/2" punch and have had no problems. The seals are perfectly fine. If you already have the 1/2" punch you would just be wasting your money. Buy something brew-worthy!

Great, thanks. These guys are pretty expensive. I'll make sure that my next purchase is brew-worthy!

I'm using stainless pots. I assume that there's little difference in this context.

Yep little difference. I used my 1/2" conduit punch (makes. 7/8" or 22mm hole) and my bulkheads are solid and leak free. I need to install 7 more, I'm really glad I bought the punch!

Back