Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If that's the case, the info provided is absolutely worthless. Freezer walls can be any thickness. I'd say that freezer may or may not hold 1 corny keg. :p

Just adding my experience to the list. Model below and link to my thread with a few other pics. I bought new kegs so their dimensions may differ (beveragefactory). The 4 fit on the floor but not even a 1/4" of wiggle room to spare. Im adding 2 taps by putting kegs on the hump bringing the total to 6 kegs in the near future. I added a 10" collar and 5" casters, and yes its really tall (48"), and I like it that way.

Fridgidaire 7.2cuft from Lowes. Model: FFC0723GB. ~$280 delivered.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/still-another-keezer-build-341537/

159.jpg

167.jpg

Just adding my experience to the list. Model below and link to my thread with a few other pics. I bought new kegs so their dimensions may differ (beveragefactory). The 4 fit on the floor but not even a 1/4" of wiggle room to spare. Im adding 2 taps by putting kegs on the hump bringing the total to 6 kegs in the near future. I added a 10" collar and 5" casters, and yes its really tall (48"), and I like it that way.

Fridgidaire 7.2cuft from Lowes. Model: FFC0723GB. ~$280 delivered.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/still-another-keezer-build-341537/

Shiny kegs!

Where did you drill a hole for the co2 line to go through? I'm about to possibly get one of these off of craigslist and I don't want to drill through anything important.

Put the hole for the CO2 line through your collar. There is too much chance of hitting a freon line in the body of the freezer.

I want at least 6 cornies and room for 2 fermenting buckets in a keezer with a 20# co2 tank inside...I want to save the hump for bottles,etc...what size do I need?

6 cornies plus tank and two buckets not on the hump?
you'll gonna need the biggest they have, like 20+ cuft

I want at least 6 cornies and room for 2 fermenting buckets in a keezer with a 20# co2 tank inside...I want to save the hump for bottles,etc...what size do I need?

You are probably going to have to make cutout templates for 6 cornies and the two fermenting buckets and co2 tank. Drop them into a store sample freezer for fit. I would guess at 20-24 cf for that.

You might think about two smaller freezers, one for fermenting and one for serving. You could maintain two separate temperature zones easier that way as well.

I use an 8.8 Kenmore for serving with 4 cornies and external co2 tank. There's room on the hump for 4 6-packs of bottles. Another 8.8 freezer for fermenting with 2 buckets plus a bucket on the hump with a short airlock.

ChuckO said:
You are probably going to have to make cutout templates for 6 cornies and the two fermenting buckets and co2 tank. Drop them into a store sample freezer for fit. I would guess at 20-24 cf for that.

You might think about two smaller freezers, one for fermenting and one for serving. You could maintain two separate temperature zones easier that way as well.

I use an 8.8 Kenmore for serving with 4 cornies and external co2 tank. There's room on the hump for 4 6-packs of bottles. Another 8.8 freezer for fermenting with 2 buckets plus a bucket on the hump with a short airlock.

I would only put buckets in to cold crash in the event my ferm chamber is full so it will have extra space in it the majority of the time....also it'll be nice to have the extra space to carb the kegs that are on deck...

2BeerSpeer said:

I think you need a 14 cu ft for that. You might be able to squeeze it in a 10 but you will most likely need to put something on the hump then. With a 14 you can fit 8 on the floor and with a 10 you can fit 6 on the floor but wont be able to fit the co2.

If you want to fit the kegs AND the buckets, you are going to need a very large freezer. Not sure what size though.

smellie_hippie said:
OK...

Getting my Keezer project started this week. I have a few questions.

I scored a Kenmore 13 Cubic Foot freezer from Craig's List. $175, manufactured in 2009, and listing for about $400 new.

I measured depth, and the hump appears to be about 10" in height.

Overall depth is 29", so the hump depth is 19".

If I build a 6" collar, I would have PLENTY of space for two kegs on the hump. But the biggest concern I had was for the hinges on the back. The bolts attached to the base are 7" apart. If I only make a 6" collar, I would have to attach one of the bolts back into the freezer unit? Do I need to bite the bullet and make an 8" collar to attach completely to that?

How many will it hold on the floor?

I have a question about 2.5 gal kegs. I have two of the new stackable 2.5s with the tall handles. I already know they are too tall to sit on a shelf stacked. But could one or both of these sit on the shelf of a 5 or 7 cu ft Holiday or GE? I would like to have 2-3 5gal kegs on the floor and these on the shelf. They measure 9" dia x 13.5" H. I would either build a coffin (no collar) or place the whole thing in a closet located below my basement stairs and run the lines through a wall.

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

I know you're asking about the Holiday or GE, but just to give a point of reference, my 7.2 Magic Chef has a hump that is 8" tall and 8.5" wide. This gives 18" above the hump. Plenty of space for one of your small kegs. You'd also have plenty of space for the 3 5 gallon kegs on the floor.

limulus said:
I have a question about 2.5 gal kegs. I have two of the new stackable 2.5s with the tall handles. I already know they are too tall to sit on a shelf stacked. But could one or both of these sit on the shelf of a 5 or 7 cu ft Holiday or GE? I would like to have 2-3 5gal kegs on the floor and these on the shelf. They measure 9" dia x 13.5" H. I would either build a coffin (no collar) or place the whole thing in a closet located below my basement stairs and run the lines through a wall.

Nice kegs...1st time I've seen those.

Nice kegs...1st time I've seen those.

Yeah, they seem to be nice. I have not used them yet. They are available at homebrewing.org for $79. They sold out their entire supply and are now awaiting the next shipment. They are Chinese, but the quality to me seems to be pretty good. They also have a 5gal version for $89.

Here ya go.....5.0 Holiday from Lowes....

IMAG0285.jpg

IMAG0284.jpg

IMAG0286.jpg

Travisnd, is that the newer model? If so, would it fit two kegs on the hump and two on the floor? It appears to be too small. I have two 5 gal kegs and two 2.5 gal kegs (9" diameter) that I'd like to keep in the keezer. I may just buy the 7 cu ft GE but my ideal location is in a storage area/closet under the stairs and the 5.0 would just be easier to get in there.

I don't think you could fit 2 on the hump, I don't think there is enough room there as it's a little tight with my C02 tank in there.

So I have the GE 7 and have had no previous issues with using 4 kegs, yes it's tight, but I've been able to get them in fairly easily. BUT this weekend I tried to switch some kegs out and it's nearly impossible. I don't know what has changed, but it looks like the rubber is creating a lot of friction when they meet at the top.

Has anyone tried to trim/sand the rubber on a corny keg? Would there be anything wrong with trimming/sanding the rubber?

I have the same holiday chest freezer without the collar. I can fit two 5gal ball lock cornies (the taller skinnier cornies), one 3gal on the shelf (those single handle new italian ones), and a 5 gal co2 tank also on the shelf. It's a little cramped with all that stuff in there and you gotta arrange the lines effectively but it's totally managable. I originally got the holiday cuz I thought the step only took up one corner and you would be able to fit 3 in there but they changed the design, oh well... I believe mines the same as the one with the pics above, something like 5ish CUFT

I've searched this thread and can't find the 19.8 cu ft Kenmore Elite I just bought....does anyone have 1 that can give me any info on it?

What sort of info are you looking for? If you're wondering how many kegs you can fit in it, put out some cardboard circles and test it out! You own one, right? Post your findings (and pictures) so others can use that info! :mug:

I just bought it from a guy local but won't pick it up until after thanksgiving and was curious if anyone had already converted one....will post pics soon

I just bought it from a guy local but won't pick it up until after thanksgiving and was curious if anyone had already converted one....will post pics soon

Gotcha. Well, with almost 20 cubic feet, it's safe to say you can fit many kegs in it. Looking at the first page, people with ~15 cu.ft. freezers can fit 8-9 ball locks. Since your freezer is ~33% larger, you'll be able to fit MANY kegs! :ban:

So I am thinking that the GE at Home Depot is a good buy. I was recently given 2 corny kegs, and I was thinking it would be nice to have 2 guest taps. It seems that I have more consumption than time to brew as of late. I contacted some brew pubs and brewers, and it seems that some do 1/6 barrels. My question is, will the 7.0 cu ft ge at home depot fit 2 corny kegs and 2 1/6 barrels? I may wind up going and measuring, but if it would save me a trip to the store I thought I'd post.

Not sure what size 1/6 barrels are, but I actually bring my cornies to local breweries and then will normally fill them up for you. Last time I got a nice oatmeal stout for $60 for 5 gallons. They just have a coupler that goes from a sanke connection to ball lock and transfer from a keg into the corny. Works well when my brewing can't keep up with my drinking!

D_Nyholm said:
Not sure what size 1/6 barrels are, but I actually bring my cornies to local breweries and then will normally fill them up for you. Last time I got a nice oatmeal stout for $60 for 5 gallons. They just have a coupler that goes from a sanke connection to ball lock and transfer from a keg into the corny. Works well when my brewing can't keep up with my drinking!

In Georgia we have third party sales laws that make that impossible. Beer must be purchased through a third party (distributer, liquor store, grocery or connivence store). It sucks because I am less than 10 miles from the Terrapin brewery.

Must be nice living in a state that allows that...

So I am thinking that the GE at Home Depot is a good buy. I was recently given 2 corny kegs, and I was thinking it would be nice to have 2 guest taps. It seems that I have more consumption than time to brew as of late. I contacted some brew pubs and brewers, and it seems that some do 1/6 barrels. My question is, will the 7.0 cu ft ge at home depot fit 2 corny kegs and 2 1/6 barrels? I may wind up going and measuring, but if it would save me a trip to the store I thought I'd post.

I just picked up the GE a couple of weeks ago. It should be plenty big enough if you put the CO2 on the hump. I put my CO2 on the hump and had to turn the gauges a little to get the lid to close until I can get my collar built.

Awesome thread. Joined just to say thanks. Scheming for a some-day keezer build.

Also, noticed the Holiday 5 cu ft is on sale at Lowe's for $169. Grab a mover's coupon from the Post Office (10% off) or Military ID and it's $152. Looks to be the same one from the first page. Edit: Not the same one from the front page... this is the one that only holds 2 Cornys.

Back