e-keggle in keg with plastic coating on top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimwright

Reaction score
Hey Folks,
Looking to do an e-keggle project, maybe I'm overthinking it but I'm just wondering if I should try to cut the plastic coating off the top of this keg before marking and cutting the top hole or if I should just mark on the plastic and cut through it all.

I'm planning on using a dremel, should I just use that carefully to take the plastic off first?

Also this looks a bit different that most of the kegs I see on here, it says it's 13.2 gallon instead of 15 any inherent problems with using it for a kettle?

keg.jpg

Thanks, I don't post much but I'd be lost in the brewing world without this forum.

Well if you cut all the plastic off the top you won't have the handles, but that may not matter to you (I still have needed to move my keggle with 5 gal in it on occasion). I think it could work. I'd use a sharp razorblade to cut the plastic back, then cut the metal with your dermel or grinder, but stay back 1/4" from the rubber.

oh so the handles are entirely plastic? i thought everything was metal just with a thin plastic coating... interesting. i'll try using an exacto knife or razor blade to cut off a big circle of plastic on the top.

cheers.

Took a quick sample cut out of the top. I guess I may be going through more dremel blades than I thought, this plastic is a good half-inch thick. I think the earlier idea of just cutting the circle out of the plastic and then cutting the steel a quarter inch in or so is the best idea. An angle grinder would probably be best for this but unfortunately I don't own one and it would probably kick up way more dust and sparks than I'd like in an apartment environment. Is there a particular dremel disk that would be best for cutting plastic? I've just been using the fiberglass reinforced ones so far. Or maybe a better tool in general for the job?

Sorry for the crap quality photo, my phone doesn't take the best lowlight pics.
keg-sample-cut.jpg

Back