I'm looking for help with a fan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegtoe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Keezer and kegerator builders,
I need help and suggestions for installing fan(s) on my keezer. My build begins today. I am buildint a wooden tower / coffin style keezer. Do I need to add a fan inside the chest freezer to keep cool air moving to the coffing. IF so can you recomend how to connect it electricaly and make/ model of fan.
I am also contemplating adding a fan to move air between the freezer and wood paneling. Again, make an model and wiring suggestion if possible.

Originally i was thinkin of attachint the paneling directly to the keezer put i may leave a gap. I think i might be able to bet a "cleaner" look that way.

Someone on another board monitored the temps at the top and bottom of their kreezer and there was quite a difference (like 10-15f difference if I remember). He was having a foaming problem and thought it was because the cold beer sitting in the bottom was hitting the warmer tubing and foaming in the lines.

Where are the coils on your freezer? If they are on the back or have vents and a fan you probably don't need fans between the freezer and your cabinetry. My freezer has the coils burried in the walls so the outside gets warm when it's running so if I enclosed it I would have to leave an air gap between the freezer and cabinet and install fans.

If you don't want to get fancy search online for 110-120volt AC computer or cooling fans. They are more expensive than the DC type but you don't need a power supply. I've got them in several different sizes. Just give them power and let them run. I would buy quiet fans. I first bought some tiny little ones that were cheap but you could always hear them running which would not be a problem if your rig is out in the garage. I soon switched to some slightly more expensive ones that I can hardley hear run. Much better.

I see there are some pretty cheap ones on ebay with a good amount of volume being pushed. What do you use for a power source.

Also you kind of contradict yourself here: They are more expensive than the DC type but you don't need a power supply. I've got them in several different sizes. Just give them power and let them run.

I use computer fans in my kegerator they work great. If you have an old power supply, your in. I bought a cheap inverter for walmart, it has adjustable voltages on it.

I was having problems with foaming in my keezer when I first set it up. I started by installing a small 4" diameter duct fan from Menards that was set to cycle on and off with the Ranco. Wasn't doing the trick because it barely ever turned on. Was hesitant to have it run all the time for efficiency reasons...

So, I went with a PC fan as others have done. Got it for about $8 at best buy. Then I cut the end off a 9 v cell phone charger that I had laying around and wired it to the fan. The fans' technically 12 volts, but it runs fine for what I need. Now I just leave it running in the very bottom, blowing upward, and my temps have evened out immensely, and now, leaving her alone, she's pouring beautifully.

If it's worth it to you to know the temp variation, do what I did. I picked up a $10 indoor/outdoor unit from Menards. It was nice and small. Mounted the base station, which isn't more and a couple inches square, on the inside of the collar, and threw the outdoor unit on the bottom. Now anytime I open it, I can quickly read the two temps on the top unit to see the difference top to bottom....

I use computer fans in my kegerator they work great. If you have an old power supply, your in. I bought a cheap inverter for walmart, it has adjustable voltages on it.

Yes DC computer fans work great with a cheep inverter, just use the 2 wire fans. The three and four wire fans require a PWM (Pulse With Modulating) controller. If you just wire up the + and - the fan will just freeze.

At least that was my experience, I'm not an EE, I just tinker a lot.

Yes I am contradictatory. You can use a line voltage (120v) AC fan. The fan costs more but you don't need a power supply. If you happen to have some DC power supplies lying around then DC fans might be the way to go. Personally I like the AC fans because you don't have to find a place to hide the power supply.

Yes I am contradictatory. You can use a line voltage (120v) AC fan. The fan costs more but you don't need a power supply. If you happen to have some DC power supplies lying around then DC fans might be the way to go. Personally I like the AC fans because you don't have to find a place to hide the power supply.

If you use a PC fan, the power supply can be as simple as an old cell phone charger... or a new one for about $8-12 at Walmart. Just cut the end off and wire it up. Nothing to hide.

Like this:
0060952501962_500X500.jpg

Latest posts

Back