"Fuzzy Fermentation"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNBugeater

Reaction score
I brewed a wheat beer last night and the fermentation started in earnest today but it looks a lot different than my last brews. There are "fuzzy, or furry clumps" floating on top and circulating in the carboy. I have seen the convection before of small particles, yeast, maybe some trub, etc, but nothing like this. I did use whole leafs this time however I thought I filtered most if not all out.

I am worried about an obvious contamination with the "furry" things in my beer. Is this normal, or did I screw something up along the way?? Thanks

MNBugeater

I've seen some strange yeast pies floating around over the years, but what I've learned about each one of them is...NEVER judge a book by its cover.

Let it do its stuff. When, or in this case, BEFORE you rack to the secondary take a sample, measure the gravity and take a drink. If it tastes good rack it!

Thanks for the peice of mind. I also remembered, this was the first time I have used a liquid yeast pack, so I imagine there are a lot more yeast cells than normal so I am seeing alot more activity. My wife looked at it this morning and said "Your beer is boiling" becuase it is swirling vary quickly and with all the yeast and trub spinning in there, it looks like its boiling.

Thanks Again.

Oatmeal does some wacky stuff too. After all the crazy things I've seen yeast and sediment do I don't worry unless the sample tastes or smells bad, which fortunately, it never has yet. Knock on wood.;)

Back