Fruit Beer Pop That Cherry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuntman

Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
?
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
?
Color
Red Hue
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 @ 70 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7-10 @ 70 degrees
Additional Fermentation
3rd Ferm add water
Tasting Notes
Doesn\'t really have a cherry flavor until carb comes in to play.
...............................Pop That Cherry Wheat..........................................

1 hour boil,
5 gallon batch:

5 lbs pale 6 row
5 pounds wheat
.5 pound crystal malt
1 oz bittering (Tettnager) in at first boil
5.5 lbs fresh, pitted, pureed, frozen, sautéed at 170 degrees cherries (introduced into secondary)
I pureed, then froze, brew day I heated up to 170 to sterilize.

Mash all grain at 154-155. Sparge 170
Primary 7 days
Secondary 18 days (add fruit) Gravity will go way up.
Racked into Third Fermenter 3 days, topped with water to reach F.G.

O.G. ?
F.G. 1.014 (leaves it sweet so no back sweetening needed).

Had to Substitute (no available fresh, or one type can cherries, lucky to find these to make a five gallon bath).
Oregon Red Tart Cherries in water (5 cans, 55oz. fruit)
Lucky Leaf Red Tart Cherries in water (2 cans, 22 oz. fruit)
S&W Dark Sweet Cherries in heavy syrup (1 can, 11 0z. fruit)

I did this over a year ago, had someone ask about it, so I adjusted for another stab. I did enjoy it, but back sweetened with too much honey. This recipe should result in no back sweetening needed, as I have a better grasp on brewing.

Thanks CraigH78 for getting me to adjust recipe.

I there any way to calculate the gravity. Just wondering what you would estimate the abv to be?

I have Beer Smith it will tell you, I am not experienced enough with it yet.

I am still a bad brewer. I have been brewing for about 8 years, after I got the hang of it I stopped taking readings unless I am bottling or unsure if fermentation is done. With only 10 lbs grain, should be almost a session beer, 5% maybe a little higher.

I just did the same recipe, only went with four bananas, 1/4 lb honey, 1/4 lb brown sugar, 2 tablespoons ground/toasted walnuts. Tomorrow I will give it a taste :)

The other five gallons I put 2 tablespoons of ground/toasted walnuts and one large can of peaches with light syrup, I am trying to get the cost down. 5 lbs of fruit is expensive, then the trub takes around a half gallon of beer down the garbage disposal. :(

I have Beer Smith it will tell you, I am not experienced enough with it yet.

I am still a bad brewer. I have been brewing for about 8 years, after I got the hang of it I stopped taking readings unless I am bottling or unsure if fermentation is done. With only 10 lbs grain, should be almost a session beer, 5% maybe a little higher.

I just did the same recipe, only went with four bananas, 1/4 lb honey, 1/4 lb brown sugar, 2 tablespoons ground/toasted walnuts. Tomorrow I will give it a taste :)

The other five gallons I put 2 tablespoons of ground/toasted walnuts and one large can of peaches with light syrup, I am trying to get the cost down. 5 lbs of fruit is expensive, then the trub takes around a half gallon of beer down the garbage disposal. :(

Nice! Bananas Foster Wheat.

You don't need all that stinking fruit!
At least on the bananas, needs more carbing (been a little under two weeks at 12 psi). The bananas are very tasty, may be under 5% ABV.
Check out the time of post......"Breakfast Beer" I'm on vacation.:D

Back