looking to upgrade to full grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppygirl

Reaction score
I have been doing extract brewing for a while now and I'm itching to get a full grain set up. Anyone have any advice on making/obtaining one on a budget?

thx all!

Here are a couple links to get you started. I'm not sure what you have already, but these should help!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/all-grain-setup-102758/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008/

The Rubbermaid conversion is an easy way to get a cheap mash tun that will hold temps well. I built one over the weekend and was able to use it Monday on my pale ale. Worked great! Also, if you can't find the stainless fender washer look for alternatives. I found a nylon washer that was a little too small and I just bored it out.

If you really want to get into it cheap and easy with kettles and such that can grow with you, Look up brew in a bag, or BIAB.

You will only need two pots and a grain bag... for batches up to 5 gal this will work wonderful. I did it this way and never looked back.. best part is that when i upgraded to 10 gal batches, my boil kettle became my Hot Liquor tank, and i didn't feel crappy about having an undersized mashtun laying around doing nothing.

The condensed version goes like this:

Mash grains in the BK inside the bag.

When the time is up, pull the bag up and dip it into the second kettle with a pre-measured volume of sparge water @170 degrees. T-bag it until the water looks a consistent color. pull the bag up and let the water drain a reasonable amount, discarding the spent grains. should take 2-3 minutes

Siphon kettle 2 into kettle 1 and start the boil. I made great beer this way and got high eff to boot!

+1 on the cooler MLT conversion. super simple once you ready through and break it down and it makes it a lot less stressful as you mash, because you don't need worry about the temp as much. and you can easily sell it later if you go with kettles or something.

Back