Michelobe is getting "crafty"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Saw the commercial they have been pimpin lately regarding "their" barley and their barley master. I noticed in the background they had more than 3 beers lined up under the name of Michelobe.

Checked their website and saw that they are now offering a Maerzen, Honey Lager, Porter, Pale Ale, and Bavarian Wheat in addition to their Amber Bock (not really a bock), Premium Lager, and their Ultra.

I guess macro really is trying to get "crafty" and they aren't using Sister branding to hide behind.

This isn't overly new for the midwest. Every winter they have an 18 pack sampler of their, "craft brews."

Bavarian wheat - worst beer I have ever had
Pale Ale - Terrible
Porter - Palatable, but still pretty bad
Amber Bock - Decent at best
Maerzen - Rough..

I haven't had the ultra or the premium lager, but do you blame me?

Greg

ohiobrewtus said:
And no matter how many times we talk about it I won't try one unless it's free.

I'd try it. I always look for what new at the grocers each week. Can't say I have been impressed with much but, I haven't been too impressed with a lot of the offerings in the package stores either. We are pretty limited on selection here in the midwest so....

GilaMinumBeer said:
I'd try it. I always look for what new at the grocers each week. Can't say I have been impressed with much but, I haven't been too impressed with a lot of the offerings in the package stores either. We are pretty limited on selection here in the midwest so....
Way too many other beers I need to try first. Try searching out specialty beer and wine stores. You may find a few that have a decent selection. I found a good shop near me that carries a wide variety of craft and imports in addition to home brewing supplies and wine making.
The only way I may consider trying one of these if is nothing better is available.

Craig

I'm not as rough on them as other folks. I admit, their Porter, PA, and Bavarian Wheat are severely lacking in some of the flavors we are used to in those styles, however, none of them are horrible and they are very drinkable, IMO of course. However, the Marzen and AmberBock are good beers IMO. I would have no problem drinking either one of those beers.

Back