My Neighbor's response to my HB. Completely shocking!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devaspawn

Reaction score
So I brewed a Pale Ale very similar (as far as I am concerned) to a BMC style. My neighbor drinks BMC crap all the time so I figured he'd like it. I gave him a sample and he said he didn't like it that much. I was completely taken aback. My first reaction was that it must be better tasting than BMC and that's why he didn't like it. He told me it tasted better than BMC but he'd rather have my first brew which was a Fat Tire clone. He said he expected something better than a BMC if he was going to drink homebrew. BMC is crap beer but it's cheap. My jaw dropped to the floor! I had recently read the "stupidest things said about your homebrew thread" (funny f-ing read!) and I guess I had been jaded and hadn't given him the benefit of the doubt.

I just thought I'd write a thread about positive remarks from non-HB drinkers.

:tank:

At least you have neighbors who will try your homebrew. I'm surrounded by non-drinking bible-thumpers who are 100% convinced that I make moonshine and will be going straight to hell. :rockin:

I'm surrounded by non-drinking bible-thumpers

You should bring them some Trappist ale and when they refuse ask why they don't support the Lords work.:D Then you could start yelling at them about being hypocritical, and tell them how Thomas Jefferson was a very accomplished homebrewer along with many of the other founding fathers. Maybe they and anti-American! Sorry... I got a little riled up. But the Trappist thing would be funny. Of course, I don't have to live next to them....

I think if you have had only the BMC stuff then you get this wierd loyalty to these companies. Then again he may be one of the people that you just cant please.

wedge421 said:
I think if you have had only the BMC stuff then you get this wierd loyalty to these companies. Then again he may be one of the people that you just cant please.

No, that's the thing. He basically said that if he wanted a standard American style beer he could go get that real cheap at the store. My understanding was that he knows BMC is crap and when he has one of my homebrews he doesn't want me to try to replicate it just so he'll enjoy it. He actually enjoys the different flavors that come with homebrew.

BierMuncher said:
See you there.

Don't forget the homebrew.

I plan on taking my Sanyo with me... you bring your keezer and we'll be set for a few weeks. :rockin:

Boerderij Kabouter said:
You should bring them some Trappist ale and when they refuse ask why they don't support the Lords work.:D Then you could start yelling at them about being hypocritical, and tell them how Thomas Jefferson was a very accomplished homebrewer along with many of the other founding fathers. Maybe they and anti-American! Sorry... I got a little riled up. But the Trappist thing would be funny. Of course, I don't have to live next to them....

That's hilarious :D

I don't really talk to any of my neighbors so who knows what they would think of my homebrew...they're mostly a bunch of rednecks though, so I'd expect they'd be a part of the "BMC and cheap whiskey" group, and wouldn't really enjoy a nice craft brew :p

That's a great story. People will surprise you. I've never received a higher compliment than when a classmate of mine, a sworn Miller Lite drinker, went back for another of my homebrews instead of the Miller Lite he brought to my party. "It ain't no Miller Lite, Doakster, but it's a damn good beer," he said with a big grin on his face. I was on Cloud 9.

TL

I think most people who drink bud do it for two reasons, it's cheap, you can drink a lot of it without getting full. Once and awhile though you will run into someone who views beer as a religion and the won't stray from the BMC path. If people refuse my beer I just think, more beer for me.

devaspawn said:
No, that's the thing. He basically said that if he wanted a standard American style beer he could go get that real cheap at the store. My understanding was that he knows BMC is crap and when he has one of my homebrews he doesn't want me to try to replicate it just so he'll enjoy it. He actually enjoys the different flavors that come with homebrew.

That's pretty cool. Sounds like you've found yourself a brew-buddy!

Back