When to pitch Dregs??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewcoopergt

Reaction score
I'm going for my first fruit lambic (and first sour period). Would like a quick suggestion on when to pitch some dregs. I am going to do the primary fermentation with Roeselare (3763). I also have several bottles of Cantillon (Kriek, Rose de Gambrinus, Grand Cru, Iris, Geuze) and would like to pitch the dregs of a couple bottles to give it extra character.

Shoud l pitch the dregs right away with the Roeselare or should i wait until I add the fruit?

Thanks

i pitch dregs whenever i finish a bottle. it's not clear to me that adding dregs does any more than the bugs i've already pitched but i add them anyway.

you can add them at any point, even at initial pitch of the 3763. those bugs are very slow acting, by the time the sacc is finished the primary fermentation they'll barely be started.

What sweet cell said.

FWIW cantillon dregs are not the best candidates for this use due to their age and decreased viability.

A good discussion on the subject and list of unpasterurized options.

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/06/harvesting-sour-beer-bottle-dregs.html?m=1

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm gonna have a bottle while I brew and pitch the dregs with the Roeselare and then toss in whatever I drink along the long wait or into another batch.

I will check again, but I do believe I have relatively young cantillon bottles. So hopefully I can get something from them.

What sweet cell said.

FWIW cantillon dregs are not the best candidates for this use due to their age and decreased viability.

A good discussion on the subject and list of unpasterurized options.

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/06/harvesting-sour-beer-bottle-dregs.html?m=1

Ive actually had great success with Cantillon dregs, after long term aging of course. Ive both pitched dregs and cultured dregs up in a small starter. However, who knows what has stayed alive and what died after all that time.

But they are no Jolly Pumpkin dregs thats for sure, those bugs are hearty.

Back