Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinatally1

Reaction score
I'm ready to keg my second home brew, the first one came out fine by using priming sugar but the bubbles were very small, I'd like a larger bubble and have been told I'd only achieve this my force carbing. Now here's my questions, do I still add the priming sugar and can I hook my air line to the liquid out and push the co2 to the bottom of the keg as opposed to inverting the keg? I know cold beer is best for force carbing but at 35psi, how long will it take to carbonate?

There isn't a difference in bubbles with natural vs. force carbing. Carbonation is simply co2 bubbles. The difference in head and foam and bubbles has to do with ingredients in the recipe (like flaked wheat) and not the form of carbonation.

In any case, force carbonation means using no priming sugar and "forcing" co2 into the beer. You hook the co2 line up into the "in" post, and then use this chart to decide the pressure (it's temperature dependent): http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Many say force carbonate at 30psi for 24 hours after your beer is cold. Then purge the co2 out of the keg and set the regulator to serving pressure for a couple days.

If you are kegging and therefore using CO2 for carbonation is it necessary to prime the beer with corn sugar or some other sugar?

Back