120v Electric Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yo1dog

Reaction score
I am new to the electric brewing scene. I currently rent and cannot install a 240v plug for electric brewing. Is it possible to use the normal 120v outlets? Am I correct to say that it is the heating element that requires the higher voltage? I read somewhere that you can use 2 120v heating elements instead of 1 240v, is this correct? Can someone point me towards a wiring diagram/tutorial for this?

Thanks,
- Mike

Use the search function at the top of the page, you'll find better results than just throwing out a blank question like that. IMHO

Sorry folks. I tried Googling "120v electric brewing" but I didn't think of searching just this site... though it may just be that I didn't know what I was looking at.

yo1dog said:
Sorry folks. I tried Googling "120v electric brewing" but I didn't think of searching just this site... though it may just be that I didn't know what I was looking at.

Yup. If I want to find something on here I've learned to google "homebrewtalk(insert topic here)". You will get results from HBT that you can link through.

I took the liberty of snagging some of the most informative builds I could get my hands on. I'm assuming you're fairly fresh out. The links and thread titles are down on the bottom. They've been very informative to me, particularly the element potting discussion, a lot of different ways to address that issue and seeing (visually) the techniques helps one decide how they want to do it.

I'm basically going with a countertop brutus 20 build. I figure I'll branch out from there once I get the system dialed in. I can deal with the efficiency losses in a 5 Gal batch, currently building up a 2 x 2000W BK out of a keggle. Just need one last coupler as I used the bargainfittings coupler I already had to set up a chugger pump. Not sure I'll install into a bucket, but I'm maintaining flexibility. Currently I'm just trying to get to the point where I can brew up an all grain batch before I really set up the brutus 20 ideal of recirculating mash goodness.

Hope this helps!

How to build a 5 gal, 110v eBIAB kettle

Show us your element housings/pots. How did you do it?

Countertop Brutus 20

2P-Twent-E: the new Brouwerij Boerderij Kaboute

Thanks, Fasadi, for taking the time to put these links together; They are very helpful.

Much appreciation! :mug:

P.S.
Good luck on your build! Keep us posted!

Back