Undersized starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeppman

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I made a starter on Saturday using mr malty which called for a little more than 1L. I put it in the fridge to cold crash lastnight. I went back today to mr. malty and noticed I forgot to put in the mfg date... now it says I need 1.65L. I'd like to pull it out of the fridge tonight, decant the liquid, allow it to come to room temp, and add another .65L of wort (boiled then cooled of course) to the starter, and I'd like to brew tomorrow night. Can I do this and pitch the whole thing tomorrow, or will something bad happen adding that little food to that much yeast?

Thanks!

try using yeastcalc - it is much more helpful for doing stepped starters and will tell you exactly how much wort you will need for the 2nd step. since you have a larger # of starting cells after the 1st step the amount of wort you will need for the 2nd step will be different now

thanks for the tip... yeast calc is actually telling me a need a little less. (Originally mr malty said 1.65. I did 1L instead, and now yeast calc tells me I only need about .5L now, instead of .65L) Make sense?

makes perfect sense

since you are starting with more yeast you need less wort to grow the same # of final cells

great, thanks. do you think i'll be rushing things? decant tonight and add .5L of starter wort, pitch it all tomorrow night?

Back