Is 30 yr old beer going to be any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbeavk

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I saw an add today for a large collection of European beers. Do you think they will be any good? :D

beercollection.jpg

Ewww not sure. Altho my buddy just had a Tommy Knocker Butthead that was "expired in march 06". He said it was good and he did't even know it was that old till i seen the bottle the next day. Thats 6 years. Also was in fridge for 6 years too.

You really won't know until you try it, and you can't get sick trying it, so there's not reason to pass up the opportunity, regardless of how it turns out....Read this old answer to this often asked question....

What the hell is there to be scared of? Nothing pathogenic can exist in beer. So you can't get sick. Why do people get amped up about this? It's not a big deal....

How many times do we have to say this. Why are people freaking afraid of this????

Beer doesn't go "bad" unless your sanitization is weak. Since nothing PATHOGENIC can exist in beer/wine/cider/mead, there should never be a reason to ever fear tasting something like this, no matter how old it is. Yeah, it may taste like crap, it may be vinegar, but NOTHING that could happen, could ever cause harm to anyone.

It's not worth passing by on something that could be amazing, because of fear.....

Noone thinks twice about drinking old wine do they?????

Beer is really no different than wine, homebrew or otherwise. Properly stored it can last and be drinkable for 100s of years.

To put it in perspective, in the Dec 07 Zymurgy Charlie Papazian reviewed bottles of homebrew going back to the first AHC competition that he had stored, and none of them went bad, some had not held up but most of them he felt were awesome...We're talking over 20 years worth of beers.

This is a great thread about one of our guys tasting 4-5 years of his stored brew.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/revisiting-my-classics-160672/

And I brewed an og 1.150, 150 IBU barleywine that I won't be opening for 5 years.

Not to mention the fact that there are vertical tasting for certain beers like Stone epic, where people collect each years beer and then sample a flight of them going back in time.

I just had this expericence not too long ago... We tried 48 year old beer today. One was interesting and drinkable, and one was gnarly.

Mbowenze has a thread about tasting an over 100 year old beer recently. And In my history thread there's a video of the OZ and James Drink to Britain tv series where they taste a beer older than that.....one that goes back to Napoleanic times iirc.

Bigbeavk said:
I'm really tempted there's over 100 bottles and he only wants $75 bux! At least I would have plenty of bombers to refill.

What? Were is this? I even collect full unopened bottles. Ill sure the hell drink 1 and save the other. 75 bucks? Buy it.

LOL I just called the guy and he said he used a google image since his camera is broken. He sounded like quite a character but I'm heading over tomorrow and check it out! Wish me luck! Once I get it I'll post up some pics!

Bigbeavk said:
LOL I just called the guy and he said he used a google image since his camera is broken. He sounded like quite a character but I'm heading over tomorrow and check it out! Wish me luck! Once I get it I'll post up some pics!

Again were is this at? Because I collect beer bottles. Would love to vuy unopeaned bottles like that. But I got to drink it for ne to save it.

Well I made a hell of a trip over to Perry Hall, Md in rush hour traffic and picked up the collection. Here's a link to the pics http://s1108.photobucket.com/albums/h405/Beerme1/

There may be a couple I would like to try but with all the stuff in the bottom of the bottles on some of them I think I'll pass. I personally don't think is was a great deal and the guy was really lets say a character to say the least. Anyway if anyone wants some for their collection let me know. there were 94 bottles and I have over 2hrs of round trip travel plus $75 invested. If there is interest we can take it to the classified section.

I would try them all! My buddy just recently bought a house with a old fridge left in the basement. Inside the fridge was a 12 year old pack of Natty Light. I opened one and it had waaayyyyy more character then a "fresh" one. It was still carb'ed even with it being a twist off. I say let'em rip!

I live in Baltimore, I will drive to Fredrick to try the Sammy smith, Newcastle and Harp. Ill bring some homebrew with me. We can party.:mug:

Well I made a hell of a trip over to Perry Hall, Md in rush hour traffic and picked up the collection. Here's a link to the pics http://s1108.photobucket.com/albums/h405/Beerme1/

There may be a couple I would like to try but with all the stuff in the bottom of the bottles on some of them I think I'll pass. I personally don't think is was a great deal and the guy was really lets say a character to say the least. Anyway if anyone wants some for their collection let me know. there were 94 bottles and I have over 2hrs of round trip travel plus $75 invested. If there is interest we can take it to the classified section.

There are definitely some great beers in there. some don't look that old (the mousehead lager looks like a long neck not a stubby and the sam smith look identical to the ones they still sell today) but others look awesome - mackeson, young, mcewan, courage, old peculier, beamish...even the old london pride might be interesting (probably from the 80's when they still used maize, invert and caramel colouring). I'm only familiar with the canadian and uk, there could be some great german beers in there too.

Back