Blichmann Burner not igniting. Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atchinator

Reaction score
I received a Blichmann Floor standing burner and I'm having problems igniting it.

I turn the gas on, I can hear it but the burner doesn't light and after a few seconds, Istart smelling propane everywhere.

I'm wondering if it's a problem with the cast of the burner itself. Right behind the air vent, the burner is kind of "clogged" up with aluminum. I took it apart and ran some water through it and only a very small trickle of water flow through.

Should there really be about a half inch hole/tube running all the way through the burner?

I guess I can now answer my own question...

Turns out there was a minor problem with the cast. The cast iron burner part was "clogged" (so to speak) with a thin layer that was keeping the gas from flowing efficiently. I was able to break this layer with a screwdriver. Once that was done, the gas flowed nicely and everything worked fine.

Thank you for posting this, since I just ordered the burner!

Yeah, I figured someone else might have the same kind of problem.
I'm brewing my first brew with it tomorrow. I figure it'll be a few brews before I get the gas/air vent/flame dialed in.

Back