Cheesesteak Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnzy02

Reaction score
Came across this article today. Now, one of the things i love about homebrewing is the ability to experiment and try new things.

However, i would like a cheesesteak WITH my beer, not as my beer.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/03/09/new-jersey-man-attempting-to-perfect-cheesesteak-flavored-beer/

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – A Westmont New Jersey man is trying to make his mark on the beer world by developing a brew that tastes like a cheesesteak.

Like a mad scientist, homebrewer Kirk Lavecchia continues to combine flavors in search of a beer that only a Philadelphian could appreciate…or not. A cheesesteak beer would most definitely be an acquired taste.

Lavecchia has two failed experiments that included a hunk of ribeye and really old, stinky hops.

“Old hops, just by nature get like a real cheesy smell, flavor, aroma. These had this, but it also had somewhat of a bourbon characteristic.”

When he added fresh hops, the bourbon characteristic exploded, overwhelming whatever cheesesteak flavor there was. So, it’s back to the lab.

“I may add different cheese additives. You know, it could be even something simple as taking Kraft blue box off the shelf and taking the powder mix and adding that in.”

And, no, fried onions are not an option.

Back