Smackpack Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dj1726

Reaction score
I received a Wyeast smackpack in a kit I received two weeks ago, when it arrived, the pack had already swollen up considerably. I immediately placed it in the refrigerator. It is still swollen. Will this yeast still be viable come time for brew day at the end of this week?

If it were me I'd get a new smack pack or some dry yeast. I think you're supposed to use those things within 24 hours or so of breaking the inner blister pack. Make a starter to see if they take off. I think that's the only way to be sure at this point. Not worth chancing it.

I had a smackpack come already swollen yesterday. I just stuck it in the fridge, and I know it will be fine. Remember, the ONLY thing smacking the pack does is release a small package of nutrients. It can't harm the yeast, and it can't grow any yeast. Swollen or not swollen doesn't really matter at all.

Of course, for any beer with a gravity over about 1.040, a starter should be made with liquid yeast anyway. The package doesn't need to swell before using in a starter, but it doesn't matter if it is. So, I'll just use this yeast in a starter when I'm ready to brew anyway.

I had 2 come swelled. I put both in the fridge for a few days. One was swelled enough that I could not break the nutrient pack. When I made the starter I had to fish out the pack and snip it with sanitized scissors. Both starters went off without a hitch. Bottled the first today. An Extra Pale Ale. The FG sample tasted great.

Back