Biochemistry Class and brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstrawn

Reaction score
So today while sitting in class we were discussing enzyme kinetics and the effects of pH and temperature on these rates. All I could think of was optimal mash pH and amylase. That's when I realized I was addicted to home brewing. Then when we discussing the digestion of ethanol I learned that alcohol is the most efficient source of energy our body can use. If you were to eat and drink during a meal the alcohol would be digested first. So if I'm on a desert island I'm asking for a beer! Ethanol is also a treatment for methanol and ethylene glycol (anti-freeze) poisoning. All facts that no one I'm around would appreciate so I thought I should share them with some people who would!

Cheers!

You'll find that a LOT of biochemsists are or have been homebrewers. A lot of them use Saccharomyces cerevisiae in research and that leads them often into homebrewing. I know quite a few in the Biochemistry department of the medschool I work in who are into it.

Airborneguy said:
It's all I think about when I'm doing schoolwork, but I guess that's because I'm finishing up a history degree concentrating on brewing and beer :mug:

Forget pharmacy. Why am I not doing that? I do enjoy applying what I learn to brewing. It makes things much more interesting.

Stick with the pharmacy, and do brewing after! My cousin makes $170k a year as a pharmacist! And she's only 27. For me, getting promoted requires 96 credits, and they can be in anything I want. So brewing was a no-brainer.

Airborneguy said:
Stick with the pharmacy, and do brewing after! My cousin makes $170k a year as a pharmacist! And she's only 27. For me, getting promoted requires 96 credits, and they can be in anything I want. So brewing was a no-brainer.

Alright. Plan is be a pharmacist so I get off this college budget and get a serious brewing rig and forget this whole stove top BIAB thing. It kills me not being able to do real all grain but I get it done. Besides not many college kids brew great beer and keg it too, let alone appreciate great beer. Im just clean im converted

Back