Has Miller changed High Life?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I started a thread about how I actually liked the taste of Miller Lite. People argued back and forth about it, but the long and short of it was that some people did actually agree that it tasted ok.

Well, so now this weekend I was camping and bought a six pack of High Life. It has no taste! Considering it is supposed to be a regular beer and Lite is a light beer, that really surprised me that it has way less taste (actually, correct that-- no taste) than a light beer.

Also, it doesn't taste anything like I remember it. My experience with High Life goes way back to the 60's. Neither of my parents ever have been beer drinkers, but whenever they would have a pizza delivered they would each have a bottle of High Life. This stuff I had this weekend doesn't taste anything at all about that. What's up with this? Have they changed the way they make it?

olllllo said:
Not to get all zen on you, but... maybe it's you that has changed.

Our tastes do change over time (and after drinking some good homebrew) so I'd reckon this ins't far off.

Since I started getting serious about beer and brewing, I've noticed that my palate has changed quite a bit. I can pick out subtle flavors and usually distinguish them as hops, grain, yeast, or adjunct based. For me, the macro lagers have become quite flavorless in general, though I do sometimes enjoy one just for the hell of it. High Life surprised me not long ago - it wasn't as bad as I remembered it, but it didn't have much flavor, either.

Before deciding that life is too short to drink bad beer High Life was my choice of macro, although Rolling Rock was an occasional change of pace.

When I have a BMC now I'm always surprised how thin and watery they are.

I believe olllllo is right; the drinker changes, the drink remains the same.

It is so true guys, Before I started brewing I was perfectly happy just buying the cheapest beer I could find and I actually enjoyed it. But now that I primarily drink homebrew I can hardly even swallow a budget lager. My tatse buds are spoiled rotten!!!

To me High Life tastes like corny water. Every now and then I'm in the mood for some of the stuff.

Perceptions of beer definately change as you drink different things, but more importantly as you get close to the process and focus in on all the little details - the impact of the Munich malt you used, or how the 80L Crystal tastes different than the 20L. Having a much deeper understanding of what is in beer is naturally going to change your perceptions - dramatically - and to me, this is a huge, huge benefit of getting into this hobby.

The one that shocked me was drinking Molson Canadian after not having any for a year or so; it's actually a lot sweeter than I recalled.

I don't think it's me or my tastebuds that have changed. As I said in my original post, I still like Miller Lite. It tastes the way I expect it to taste. High Life, on the other hand, is not supposed to be a low-cal beer. One would expect it to taste fuller-flavored than a light beer.

Now, High Life used to be Miller's "premium" brand. At least in my area, a few years ago they decided to re-position it as more of an economy brand after Genuine Draft overtook it in sales. What I am wondering is whether now that it's a cheaper brand are they skimping on the ingredients?

The 60's was about the time that the BMC makers started using rice as a prime fermentable in their beer. The rice lended a crisper, more neutral (aka flavorless) consistency to the beer.

I'm guessing that with time, more of the BMC beers are going to go the way of Michelob and Mich Light...recently converting and advertising their recipes as all malt.

Craft and microbrews are having an impact. Craft beer is taking over wine and vodka as the "knowledgable" persons drink of choice. Compare your choice of craft beers at your local grocery store today to what was available just 2 years ago.

There's a revolution afoot my friends...

Mmm...liquid glucose. You hear all about the "crisp rocky mountain water" and the "cold fermentation" (hehe) on the commercials. I wonder why they don't mention the liquid glucose. Guess it doesn't have the same ring as "mountain spring water.

I drink High Life almost every weekend (we play a lot of speed quarters) for cheap swill and I think it has a slightly sourish taste to it.. and a good lager bite. It deffinitly has taste IMO but no complexity at all.

Now Coors Light has NO TASTE whatsoever.

Back