Starter blow-off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ERock101

Reaction score
Well, I forgot to add some of those magic anti-foam drops to my starter wort and it blew some krausen through the foil top that I had on the flask. It wasn't so bad and I let the starter finish as it should, but now I'm left with a stir plate with a bunch of hardened yeast / wort on it. Any advice as to how to clean this? Obviously I don't want to get it too wet. I've tried a wet paper towel, all purpose cleaner, and even my fingernail, but nothing seems to get it all the way off.

Thanks!

No, the starter is still in the flask. It's cold-crashing in the fridge right now. I'm not so concerned with the flask itself because I can put really hot water in it. Right now I just want to clean the crud off the surface of the stir plate itself.

Oh, I see. Unplug the stir plate and wipe it down with a rag soaked in water as hot as you can stand it. Let it thoroughly dry before plugging it back in. Hot water is sugar's worst enemy.

same thing happened to me. I took the flask off and refrigerated it this morning and I didn't have time to deal with the crud covered stirplate till now. its all hard as a rock and coming off on its own just by rubbing it with my thumb. let it dry and it will fall right off, than just wipe it down with a warm moist paper towel

This is why my stir plate uses a waterproof enclosure... right down to the grommet allowing the power wires through. I could literally run it under the sink if I wanted to :)

Back