Need advice on bottling (used the wrong fermenting bucket?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinBeer

Reaction score
Ok guys, I need your help once again!

I brewed my first "real" beer the other day (as opposed to the 3 Mr. Beer brews I have already done) and, per the LHS's instructions, added the wort/yeast into my True Brew "fermenter/bucket with the hole" - which is a hole on the bottom for a spigot/valve.

Since I wasn't planning on racking to a secondary (just go 2-3 weeks in the primary) I had assumed I could just bottle straight from the spigot/valve (just like my Mr. Beer keg)... but I think I may upset the trub, since I would have to add the priming sugar and stir it, which is new to me.

So - what do I do? Just let it sit for three weeks, drop the sugar/water into the top of the bucket, stir gently and bottle from the spigot?

Or, would you suggest I rack to a secondary (I have a 6.5 gallon carboy) on week 2, than go back into this spigot bucket on week 3 and than bottle.

Sorry if this sounds confusing, I can provide pictures if need be but I know you guys are sharp!

Thanks! :mug:

I'd still allow it to sit for 3 weeks in primary. It's going to be a PITA, but you'll need to rack it to your carboy, then wash and sanitize your bottling bucket. At that point, mix your priming sugar and water and pour it into the bottling bucket. Then rack your beer from your carboy on top of the priming solution.

If you have an autosiphon, I would suggest just rack on top of a priming solution in the carboy after 3 weeks. Then bottle from the carboy using the autosiphon. Otherwise, I would leave it in the plastic fermenter for a minimum of 2 weeks, then transfer to the carboy and leave it there for 2 weeks, then bottle as usual out of the plastic bucket.

Well, first, you say you fermented in the bucket with a hole. I hope the hole had the spigot in place. :)
I wouldn't try bottling from the primary fermenter, because you will upset the trub, and your beer will not thank you for that.
I also wouldn't try using the 6.5g carboy as a secondary because of the risk of oxidation.
The best bet would be to buy a 5g carboy to use as a secondary, but that would be expensive if you don't intend to use a secondary, but might be a good idea if you are going to brew beers that do require a secondary in the near future. I use a secondary for lagers and dry hopping.
The next best would be to buy another bottling bucket, but then you would end up with 2 bottling buckets, which would be a waste.
If you don't want to spend any more money, you could wait till it's ready for bottling, rack to the 6.5g carboy, clean and sanitize the bottling bucket, add the priming sugar (to the bucket), and then rack back into the bucket. The double racking will add some extra O2, but if you are careful, it shouldn't be too bad.
The other possibility is to use carb tabs added to the bottles and bottle directly from the primary (no stirring required). I've never used these, so I can't say how well they work.
For your next brew, I would suggest you use the 6.5g carboy as a fermenter. That would leave the bottling bucket free for bottling.

-a.

Not that I have a qualified opinion, but I think I would rack to another bucket (having two primary buckets isn't a waste if you consider it means you can have two beers in the pipeline), then clean the bottling bucket and bottle the following week to allow everything to settle out nicely.

I think I am going to wait 3 weeks (2 more) in the primary and then rack to my other bucket (the non-bottling bucket) on top of the priming solution and then auto siphon from that into the bottles (per BigB's suggestion)...

Does that sound like a good plan?

I think I am going to wait 3 weeks (2 more) in the primary and then rack to my other bucket (the non-bottling bucket) on top of the priming solution and then auto siphon from that into the bottles (per BigB's suggestion)...

Does that sound like a good plan?

It is a good plan if you're able to do that. I'm not usually able to manage a siphon, a bottling wand, and bottling all at the same time. I have to use a bottling bucket.

Yooper - If you can't, I doubt I can! This is my first time afterall!!

Should I go 2 more weeks in the bottling bucket, transfer to another bucket, clean my bottling bucket and rack back and bottle all in one afternoon?

Should I go 2 more weeks in the bottling bucket, transfer to another bucket, clean my bottling bucket and rack back and bottle all in one afternoon?

Shouldnt take that long, especially if you are using 22 oz. bottles.

Like another poster said, the extra cleaning is gonna be a PITA but I suppose ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

This experience will teach ya to get your ducks lined up in a row, so to speak.

Never the less, I'm sure your beer will be enjoyable. :mug:

I siphon from non-bottling bucket to the bottles with the help of an autosiphon and a bottling wand. This is very easy, but I like SWMBO around so she can cap the beers while I'm bottling. Or you can also fill all the bottles and then cap.

I've never had a problem with the bottling wand. I place the bucket/carboy up on a counter, and have my bottles lined up on the floor. Then I just go from bottle to bottle. If you find you are too crowded by bottles, just set the bottling wand in a bottle (it may slowly fill) while you move a few bottles out of the way. Granted my preferred way is to use a bottling wand with a one inch piece of tube attached to a bottling bucket, but using the autosiphon is actually a much quicker way because the pressure the autosiphon adds.

What if he:
1: Just poured the priming sugar solution in without stirring, and let it sit for at least an hour to naturally dissipate (like pouring cream into coffee and not stirring, but letting it sit)

2: Caught the initial rush of trub in the first bottle, set aside for gravity, testing, tasting, etc, and continued bottling as normal and just accepted the fact there's going to be a little sediment in the bottle anyway, because it is being bottle conditioned?

Is this all just crazy talk?

Well - I got everything bottled!

I went with the double transfer (out of wrong bucket, into right bucket, sanitized, back into right bucket and then into the bottles)... It took FOREVER and I was scattered (first time) but everything *seemed* to go okay.

So, thanks for the advice everybody. I can't wait to see how this turns out. My FG and OG looked right on, so I am excited.

23690_111542922209810_100000623084755_122660_4438529_n.jpg

Back