Easy to make Oatmeal Stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrcoldone

Reaction score
Does anyone know an easy to make Oatmeal Stout recipe? Ive seen alot of them on here, but they all call for mashing and that other stuff. Im new to this and definitely dont wanna screw one up! Ive only made two batches (Weizenbier and American light) and I'm looking to make a third. Also if anyone has any knowledge of this beer, is it worth making? Ive never had one but it sounds like a great holiday brew I can share with the family. Thanks!

Oatmeal adds a wonderful mouthfeel to a beer. The reason you see mashing is (for one reason) it can't be steeped (to my knowledge). It has to be mashed. You CAN do a partial mash very simply and get the same result.

Oatmeal adds a wonderful mouthfeel to a beer. The reason you see mashing is (for one reason) it can't be steeped (to my knowledge). It has to be mashed. You CAN do a partial mash very simply and get the same result.

I have never done that. I was wondering if you could make it with LME and just add the oats. Or something easy like that.

i have steeped oats before in an extract brew it was an irish stout can and i steeped oats into it at 150 for like 30 min.. it was like my 3rd brew ever

everyone liked the beer i cant say not to do it, altho it is possible it gave unwanted results, i can say that after 1 beer you were stuffed

i say go for it

I've never steeped oats, so I can't really speak to that, but from everything I've read seems to indicate that steeping oats is a waste of oats and time. Basically, you'll end up with a stout still, but the oats will have done nothing other than add some starchy haze to the beer. If you want to extract the beta-glucans that give oatmeal stouts their smooth texture, you're going to have to mash the oats. It was the desire to make an oatmeal stout that first got me doing partial mashes.

A partial mash is a relatively easy step-up from steeping. Really, it is pretty much a steep with the addition of some base malts that can provide the proper enzymes to convert the oats.

FYI - found this in a BYO article:

"beta-glucans are held together by peptides (chains of amino acids). To break down the cell walls where beta-glucans reside, an enzyme that breaks the links between beta-glucans and peptides is needed. This enzyme is called beta-glucan solubilase, since it helps release beta-glucans into solution, making them soluble."

it is this beta-glucan solubilase that you need from the base malts, which is active at mash temperatures.

I have never done that. I was wondering if you could make it with LME and just add the oats. Or something easy like that.

You can add the oats and steep as has been stated and call it an oatmeal stout and have a very tasty beer. BUT...When you mash oats it adds this wonderful mouthfeel that I found you can only get when you mash oats.

There are a couple of people on this site that have very easy partial mashing systems. I think some are stickied. It's not terribly difficult and you can probably do it with minimal equipment.

When I make starters (I make 3Q starters). I mash 1 to 2# of 2Row in a bag in a pot that holds almost a gallon of water. I've never partial mashed, so I can't help you with it, but with some research it can be done. And once you start parital mashing you'll have more control over your beers, and an AG step will be super easy for you (I know that award winning extract beers exist, but my beers improved dramatically after going AG).

I did do a partial mash of 2# of two row, 2# of Quaker oats (the kind that is advertised to be cooked in one minute), mash them together in about 8 - 10 L of 155* water for a bit more than an hour, boil for an hour (that's right, no hops), then I put in a can of Cooper's pre-hopped Irish Stout. It made up 19 L total, and the taste was amazing. Even the wife, who is a light BMC drinker, liked it. You may want to look up DeathBrewer's how-to on partial mash which is stickied either here or in the Beginner's section for assistance.

For the beginner, doing a partial mash is much easier than it looks. Really.

Back