First cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CATFISHER74

Reaction score
I stared with:
1 gallon cider
1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1/2 pound honey
3/4c. brown sugar
1 pack Montrachet yeast

I stared it on 9/20 fermentation started within the hour.So i racked this yesterday because a pretty thick layer of lees, but today no activity is this normal or is it stuck?
O.G 1.049 gravity today 1.000 will check again to see if it goes down more.

well Montrachet will probably take down a tiny but more, but you're close. Give it another 3 or weeks or so before you do anything with it. (like rack or bottle.) Unless you like dry white wines, you make not like the flavor for 6 months to a year. (and even then its not going to be real cidery). i have to assume the honey and sugar wasnt mixed up well because OG should have been much higher.

if you want a sweeter, more appley product in the future try an ale yeast like Safale S-04 etc. I personally like Wyeast brand Sweet Mead Yeast the best for cider.

welcome to cider making. check out the great sticky thread on the top of the cider page for more info on yeast.

I brew wine and beer all the time but i had this stuff in the house and thought i would see how it would come out.I thought the yeast might make it a little dry.Since im going to carb it maybe i should add some concentrate rather than sugar to get some of the apple flavor in it.

I try that mead yeast next time, but seemed silly to spend more on just a gallon.
I do want to try a mead was going try a gallon first so i can split the yeast between a cider and a mead.
Checked gravity today and tasted the sample and very sour and crappy tasting.

Back