Idea, tell me what you think.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Braski

Reaction score
I have two brews under my belt so far, but have not had a chance to get started on another one for a couple months. Now is definately the time to make my third. My first two were basic, straight forward brews (english pale ale and a standard porter). I was very pleased with both of these beers, but for my third I'd like to try something a little harder and more creative.

During my break from home brewing I've fallen in love with Pilsner Urquell and those brilliant Saaz hops. I've also been intrigued by the schizophrenic taste of Anchor Steam Beer.

What I'd like to do is combine these two beers by brewing a pilsner wort with those delicious Saaz hops, but ferment it at ale temps (anchor steam it).

Have any of you brewed or tasted a beer like this? What do you think it would taste like?

and most importantly, how do I go about doing it?

Use WLP810 San Francisco Lager Yeast or 2112 California Lager Yeast & it should work out just fine. I've had a few ales that used all Saaz, but haven't done one myself.

I posted a recipe on this thread a while back.

I was very surprised at how well it turned out. It is on tap now, and I still have about a gallon left in the keg. Boy, it turned out good. It is crystal clear and the Saaz hops come through nicely.

Everyone who stops by really likes it. I think that it appeals to BMC drinkers, especially.

California Lager gives very nicely lager-like results at the lower end of it's temperature range. If you can keep it around 58-60 and never above 65 you'll get pretty good results.

I'm mostly an ale drinker and I think I actually prefer many lager styles done this way as opposed to true lagering. I think it's particularly successful for richer, maltier lager styles. I just bottled a Munich Dunkel fermented with California Lager that I think is going to be outstanding.

If you are interested in the steam beer concept, I would highly encourage you to brew Brew Pastor's Bastard Lager recipe as well (available in the stickied thread on recipes).

My first brew is going right now, it is the BB Continental Pilsner which is exactly what this is Saaz hops with an ale yeast

Back