PitBroue E-HERMS in progress...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitBroue

Reaction score
So after countless hours of reading on this forum, it was time for me to give my contribution since most of my DIY have been inspired or simply copied from others members projects. I know there is already a lot of similar build on this forums but maybe it will help somebody... and I might still need your help!

So basically, it’s an E-HERMS based mostly on Kal from http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/ But the control panel is a cross between WAORGANY and Iron Mountain Brew . Of course I will use P-J schematic for the control panel. Since I have a 60A GFCI breaker in my panel, I'm planning on being able two use two 5500 watts element at the same time for back to back batches.

For HLT and Mash Tun I use two upside down keggle. I used the tri-clover fitting (2’’tri-clover 90 elbow, 2’’ tri-clover X ½ Male NPT) from Brewershardware.
My false bottom is from Jaybird, 15'' with handle and hinge. My herms coil is a ½ SS 50 feet coil (free)... (It is in two 25 feet part that I will join together).

For the BK I use 18 gallon kettle.

I will also use two March Pump

To cool down the wort I use a 40 plate chiller from Keg Cowboy.

For the Brew stand, I’ve build an almost exact replica of Kal’s brew stand.

I have a dedicated 10x11 brew room in my basement (with access under the stair for storage and eventually fermentation chamber).

I’m not quite yet decided on the fan setup...

I’m my main panel I have a 60A GFCI breaker (Square D) connect to a 6/3 wire that run to my brew room.

Right now, I have run the wire, mostly finish the brew room, done the brew stand, finish the BK and MLT, and I have all the hardware to finish the HLT, hoses, etc. For the control panel, I have everything in my possession to make an exact replica of WAORGANY ‘s panel

A friend of a friend, who is an electrician is supposed to help my with the wiring (in exchange for some homebrew:rockin:) but before, I want to do the maximum myself. So after finding a nice layout for my panel, and making some final readings on homebrewtalk, I decided I now want to make some change, mostly based on IRON MOUNTAIN BREW

I’m now thinking about those changes:
- Adding a Timer reset for SWA-2451(SW7)
- Connect the Flash buzzer to both PID
- Add two On-OFF switch for the alarm/buzzer (SW2)
- Add a power key (SW8) with light(from auberins)

So before ordering the missing part, I have a few questions:

Since I have a 60A GFCI breaker in my main panel(6/3 wire to my brew room) and the plug and receptacle rated for 60A are hard to find and very expensive, I was thinking to use a 50A receptacle in my brew room. Is it ok?

Also, can I use the Power key sold by auberins?

And where can I find a contactor 240V-50A 120V coil for the Power key installation (not to expensive)?

Thanks to every person and store mentioned above for your help and the excellent service! Thanks to the homebrew community in general for the help. Keep posting your DIY project!

Pitbroue_BrewRoom.jpg

Pitbroue_upsidedownkeggle.jpg

Pitbroue_upsidedownkeggle2.jpg

IMG_20120902_153407.jpg

Pitbroue_PC_inside.jpg

if you don't ever plan on taking your control panel out of your brew room and using it somewhere else on a regular basis, you could just hard wire it and not use a receptacle. It is prefered to have a cord and plug, but that isn't a hard set rule. Being as that you have a gfci breaker in your panel you could just as easily use either a breaker lock or a non fused disconnect in your brew room.

Do a google search for "60a contactor" you can find several for under $75 (not too bad a price) you will only need one that is for the full load, the other two only need to be rated for the element that they are feeding, 30A.

Flipping the keg was a great idea if I ever build an electric rig I'll have to remember that. Great work keep is up to date I'm excited for you. I'm building a herms system myself but not electric and its a slow process due to the wife regulating my money lol

At first, I was thinking about hard wire my panel since I'm not planning on taking my panel out. The reason I wanted to use receptacle and cord is for legal reason. I think I remembered reading on Kal that in Canada it's not legal to have that king of installation in residence... (I'm not sure were I'v read that, could not find the info any more. maybe in a post here). But I might still hard wire everything.That was my first plan and it will be a lot cheaper...

For the 60A contactor, I've already made a google search. The problem is that I'm not sure which one is suited for my needs. For the rest of the parts, I took a list made by P-J. So it was easy... I have an electrician who is supposed to help me wire the panel. But before, I want to be sure to order the correct contactor.
Could I use this as a contactor for my power keys?

that is a smoking deal, buy that! yes that will work just fine. You could even run the neutral wire thru it being as that you have an extra pole.

So my e-herms was put on hold for a while...too many projects at the same time: my house is in renovation, building a kegerator (finish), building wood crate for my homebrew (most of them are finished somme still need the finition (putting the logo)) and brewing to keep my 5 taps fulls.

My HLT, Mash Tun and Bk are finished and leak free. I had two problems... The first one was with the BK. To save some money, I bought the cheap IKEA punch to install my 5500 watt element. So the hole was to big... For my HLT, I had a hard time installing the 50 feet coil because of the compression fittings. It was leaking. So I added two o'ring and the leak stopped. So now, everything is leak proof.

Also, the electrician that was supposed to help never answered my email back... So I found an another one that wired the panel for me. When came the time to install my 60 Amp GFCI breaker we realized that square D breaker has no place to put the neutral.... I'm not the only one who had that problem, TrainSafe had the same problem. You can see the post here. So now I need to sell a breaker and buy a spa panel... This was an expensive mistake! Hope I will be able to sell it.

While the electrician was at my place we tested the panel. Everything is working fine. But now I'm stuck until I buy and install my spa panel. Hope to do that before the weekend in order to brew sunday.

I still need to install the fan.

My panel:

IMG_0411.JPG

IMG_0412.JPG

IMG_0413.JPG

IMG_0418.JPG

and finally the breaker I need to sell...

IMG_0407.JPG

close up of the breaker showing there is no hole for the neutral...
IMG_0408.JPG

My setup with my two upside down keggle and my bk
IMG_0416.JPG

My herms coil in my hlt ( i used copper instead of my two piece SS.... I will used them for a jockey box. I never found a good way to joint them that was satisfying and cheap)IMG_0417.JPG

Thanks to you WAORGANY! A good part of my project was based on yours! Your project look very nice. I like the way you mounted your panel. Might copy that also...

PitBroue said:
Thanks to you WAORGANY! A good part of my project was based on yours! Your project look very nice. I like the way you mounted your panel. Might copy that also...

Yeah that's awesome. I can't claim too much credit I have gotten a majority of my ideas and information from this site! LOL,my build was based a lot off of Tiber Brews!

Nicely done. I wish I had done my keggle 'upside-down' but I just cut it the same way as I had back when I direct fired my keggle. The advantage of a bottom drain seems to be a great feature in my mind.
-Kevin

Back