Looking to get some input for my first all grain batch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franknferter

Reaction score
I will be making my first all grain beer (BIAB) hopefully this weekend and figured that instead of using a kit I would just make up my own beer. I think I have it worked out but would still like some input and opinions on just about every aspect. The recipe is as follows:

Fermentables
11lbs American 2-row Pale
1lb American Crystal 20L

Hops
0.5oz Centennial 60min
0.5oz Amarillo 45min
1oz Cascade 30
1oz Cascade 15min

Yeast
Safale US-05
or
California Ale WLP001

According to Ale Abacus the OG should be 1.066 and final OG 1.018 with 67 IBU's. I am shooting for a good bitterness with lots of aroma, I am not opposed to dry hopping this and would take suggestions for that. Thanks in advance guys.

A lot more experienced brewers will probably chime in, but I would move everything other than the 60 minute bittering hops up to the last 20 minutes or less, particularly the Amarillo. Around 20 minutes should give you the most flavor, but if is aroma you want, then the last few minutes of the boil and flameout are your best use of the hops - that and dry hopping. You might have to increase your 60 minute addition if you do this to keep the IBUs up. A lot of people will also say you should keep the crystal/caramel grains to 5% or less of you grain bill. Good luck and have fun.

I have this same thing cross posted to r/homebrewing on reddit. They have told me the same thing about the crystal/caramel grains. I also have changed the 60min addition to 1oz warrior.

A lot more experienced brewers will probably chime in, but I would move everything other than the 60 minute bittering hops up to the last 20 minutes or less, particularly the Amarillo. Around 20 minutes should give you the most flavor, but if is aroma you want, then the last few minutes of the boil and flameout are your best use of the hops - that and dry hopping. You might have to increase your 60 minute addition if you do this to keep the IBUs up. A lot of people will also say you should keep the crystal/caramel grains to 5% or less of you grain bill. Good luck and have fun.

+1 on that - I don't typically do anything other than 60 minutes, then plenty from 15 minutes down, and my ales have great hop aroma and flavor. You'll have extra Centennial, so up it @ the 60m to get your IBUs.

have fun!

I've read a good piece of advice on here and in at least one brewing book: "Take your 60 minute addition and first-wort hop it instead. It will give you somewhat higher bitterness but the bitterness won't be as harsh." And it's true. The bitterness is still there, but it tastes more "rounded." I like the effect.

In case you don't know, first-wort hopping is when you dump hops into the boil kettle before you even put any wort into the boil kettle. Then you continue on with the brew day as usual.

If you're skeptical, then do the normal 60 minute on this batch but do give first-wort hopping a try in the future when you've got more AG brews under your belt.

I will be making my first all grain beer (BIAB) hopefully this weekend and figured that instead of using a kit I would just make up my own beer. I think I have it worked out but would still like some input and opinions on just about every aspect. The recipe is as follows:

Fermentables
11lbs American 2-row Pale
1lb American Crystal 20L

Hops
0.5oz Centennial 60min
0.5oz Amarillo 45min
1oz Cascade 30
1oz Cascade 15min

Yeast
Safale US-05
or
California Ale WLP001

According to Ale Abacus the OG should be 1.066 and final OG 1.018 with 67 IBU's. I am shooting for a good bitterness with lots of aroma, I am not opposed to dry hopping this and would take suggestions for that. Thanks in advance guys.

1.066 with 11 pounds of grain? Is that for 5 gallons? If so I think that's overly optimistic efficiency. Better double check those numbers. I've never done "boil in a bag" but most all grain brewers get 70 to 80% out of various systems. At 75% 11 pounds would be about 1.060 for 5 gallons. I assume there's no sparge with boil in bag so you're probably not going to even get the 75%. You probably need another pound or two of grain. If you go over, you can always dilute it with water. If you go under, you're hosed! :D

In my opinion 1lb of lighter crystal / caramel malt out of 12lbs total grain can be totally reasonable if you're down for a sweeter pale ale. Mashing nearer to 148F can help to balance it out in this case.

Back