Can Pectin Be Used In 2ndary W/Fruit Addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shhh

Reaction score
I'm having a hell of a time finding the answer in search.

Say I made a traditional mead ( no fruit , just honey , yeast , water ) and wanted to add fruit to my secondary.

Now all reports ( that I've seen ) have stated adding pectin before fermantation. My dilemma.

Is adding pectin enzyme acceptable in secondary along with my stabalizers and fruit before I rack the Trad. Mead ?

Basically what is the proper way of doing this ?

There's no "proper" way, as there are no set standards.

Fruit prepared before.fermentation uses about a half teaspoon per gallon, whereas fermented fruit.or fruit in secondary uses double that, or more.

When you add fruit, will vary the.flavour of it, fermented fruit tastes different, so for more of the original fruit taste, either into secondary or even just racking a stabilised mead onto the fruit and steeping it that way works.

If you don't want the fruit to ferment (presuming that the yeast still has some tolerance left), then you'd need to hit it with stabilising chems first.

Right , so a double dose is needed... thank you... only answers i got were from the cider links.

Exactley what I want to do is add fruit after ferman. After I stabalize , and rack.

Yes , I burn up the yeast til dry , stable , Back sweeten . Then I want to add the fruit.. I wanted to know how to use the pectin after ferman. , because I've always used fruit in primary. As you say, I'm looking for a more "original fruit taste" .

I just didnt know how to go about dealing with fresh fruit after primary was done..if I should or shouldn't use pec. enz.

Well, if you want to, you can just rack the batch straight onto the fruit, let the fruit do its thing and see if it doesn't clear.

If it does, then fine, if not hit it with the pectic enzyme...

The pectinase will not work unless you have some fermentation going on. Just dose like normal, double dose if that thrills you....any pectic enzyme that is not utilized just drops as sediment. If you opt to add a fermentable , even just fruit or juice, after dry and stabilized with sorbate and k-meta, it will impart fruit flavor but no alcohol. I could see benefit from that especially if you have a higher octane wine/mead and want to flavor some and dilute.

I added pectin enzyme after fermintation and this is what I got it.

Before/after about three weeks

image-3431998346.jpg

image-3629153678.jpg

Walshy87 said:
I added pectin enzyme after fermintation and this is what I got it.

Before/after about three weeks

Looks great! What kind of ferment is that? And I plan on sharing this article I just found with two 'instructors' who advise pectic enzyme only works if ferment still in progress!!! I did learn per this article that bentonite pulls pectic enzyme out of solution, so if adding both up front be sure to allow adequate time for the enzyme to get to work before you add bentonite.

http://www.winemakermag.com/component/resource/article/858-cellar-dwellers

Not sure what you mean by "what kinda of ferment" it is, but it's a peach mead. I made about three four months ago. I stopped fermentation back sweetened and added PE and its clearing up nicely.

Back