Ale-Pocalypse 2012

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennywd

Reaction score
Kinda an idea for something me and a couple of friends want to brew.. Kinda wanted to get some outside opinions on the recipe. Trying to keep around 12% alcohol. *Will BIAB, this is also a first mash, always done extract.hoping to get an *Efficiency: 65% hoping that's not unreasonable. I put low amounts of the same grains you would use in a whiskey and will soak chips in a burboun whiskey. I appreciate any tips and tricks.:mug::tank::drunk:

Ale-Pocalypse 2012

Style: Specialty Beer OG: 1.117
Type: Partial Mash FG: 1.023
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 12.31 %
Calories: 378 IBU's: 67.09
Efficiency: 65 % Boil Size: 3.00 Gal
Color: * 24.1 SRM Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 21 days @ 68.0°F
Secondary 14 days @ 68.0°F
Bottle/Keg 180 days @ 64.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
12.00 lbs 64.86 % Munton's Light LME 60 mins 1.037
2.00 lbs 10.81 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L 60 mins 1.034
1.50 lbs 8.11 % Maize, Flaked 60 mins 1.037
1.00 lbs 5.41 % Briess Rye Malt 60 mins 1.035
1.00 lbs 5.41 % Briess Barley, Flaked 60 mins 1.035
1.00 lbs 5.41 % Cara-Pils/Dextrine 60 mins 1.033

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
4.00 ozs 67.09 Summit 60 mins 18.20

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg Super High Gravity Ale White Labs 0099

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
12.00 oz Oak Chips Soaked in Whiskey 14 days Secondary

Mash Profile
Medium Body Infusion 60 min @ 154.0°F
Add 8.12 qt ( 1.25 qt/lb ) water @ 167.4°F

Carbonation
Amount Type Beer Temp CO2 Vols
2.50 oz Table Sugar - Bottle Carbonation 64.0°F 1.90

Notes
*------------------------------------
----
*------------------------------------

grssmnperez said:
Is there an extract conversion for this recipe?

You could prolly replace some of the light lme with amber and not worry bout the crystal, but te others would at least need steeping... Don't honk rye is steeped well. And you could use corn syrup, but would not get the same outcome. Maybe some one else has an idea bout that.

So we will prolly be doing the brew in the next 3 Sunday's. I think we have all decided on the finally brew ingredients. Except the whiskey we will soak in. But we have an idea.

I dint get what you mean by honk. Im going to my lhbs this afternoon for ingredients.

Ok so i went to the store to get everything. It cost me and insane amount of money for all of the grains and extract, somewhere in the neighborhood of 60$. They didn't have the summit hops so i substituted for simcoe. The recipe doesn't indicate what kin of oak chips so i went with light toast chips. And instead of the white labs 0099 i went with 3 packets of dry champagne yeast to handle the high abv.

grssmnperez said:
Ok so i went to the store to get everything. It cost me and insane amount of money for all of the grains and extract, somewhere in the neighborhood of 60$. They didn't have the summit hops so i substituted for simcoe. The recipe doesn't indicate what kin of oak chips so i went with light toast chips. And instead of the white labs 0099 i went with 3 packets of dry champagne yeast to handle the high abv.

Hey sorry I been busy, yeah I planed on it being a pricy grain bill, I am picking up the supplies as well and I also changed over to a champagne yeast and I was also going to use light toast... Have you brewed already or are you brewing this weekend?

Probably this weekend. The guys i know at the lhbs said it was gonna be a hell of a beer and est the abv @13%

How am i going to steep such a huge amount of grains in 3gal of H2O in a 5gal ss kettle?

grssmnperez said:
How am i going to steep such a huge amount of grains in 3gal of H2O in a 5gal ss kettle?

I am going to pick up a 5 gallon nylon paint bag strainer from lowes/homedepot.add 1.25 - 1.5 quarts of water per pound(2.6gal) Bring water up to my mash temp,add grains mash for 45 mins... I was going to keep a spray bottle of cold water to help prevent any hot break. This is more like a partial mash than a steep. This is my first partial so it will be an experience for my self as well.

It should fit, but even you can reduce water to 1 qt per pound or even .9qt..

Im not understanding your mash profile instructions. Please explain a little further.

grssmnperez said:
Do i steep the grains some where in between those two temps?

No. You bring the temperature of the water up to 167 before adding grains to mash. The water and grains will drop close to he lower temperature.. And you want to try and keep the temperature at that.. If it raises or drops record it. This mash is a medium body mash, where if the temperature was higher it would be a heavier body beer.... Just try and keep the temperature at 157. After u add grains.

grssmnperez said:
Im not understanding your mash profile instructions. Please explain a little further.

I would respond faster but my app doesn't ever tell me quick enough.

Oh my god! This is the brew from hell! A boilover and just too much liquid in the kettle. The nylon bag got a hole in it and i had to strain the wort through a screen. The. The lme started to caramelize to the bottom of the kettle and then screen again. I hope this is the best beer ever.

grssmnperez said:
Oh my god! This is the brew from hell! A boilover and just too much liquid in the kettle. The nylon bag got a hole in it and i had to strain the wort through a screen. The. The lme started to caramelize to the bottom of the kettle and then screen again. I hope this is the best beer ever.

Dear god! That did not sound like it went over well! Guess everyone made it out will all their fingers and toes.... Was there maybe just too much heat? When u have the bag in it should t be above that 150 to 160 mark for the 45 mins. Well for your sake I hope it is the best beer.

where u live?... When this beer finishes how bout we trade a few bottles. I am around north Texas. That way we can see the difference in the beer..

Im in san antonio. Lackland air force base. I got the wort chilling down pretty quick. Ill be fermenting in a fridge i have at approx 54deg

I wont be using them but by the way the ozarka 5 gal bottles are #1 pet just like better bottles.

You sound like you pitched alright. Your OG looks good.. Actually a little better... Next few days just gently stir by swirling the fermentor... To keep the yeast up and in suspension.... Keep a blowoff tube close by just in case.. And just check to make sure that the yeast don't stop early.

Oh I prolly would pitch 2 and keep one. But even if u pitched all three it would make sure you had enough. What did you do?

And I am wishing I got back to ya earlier.... Just incase you got a violate fermentation. I am in Wichita falls, but I have family in austin.

Also don't secondary until your gravity is where it should be. I put 21 days but it may take a little longer. The closer to the 21 days just check gravity for 3 days

Thats fine im going on vacation in 10 days or so. I said screw it threw in all three of the champagne and bunged with a 1/2in blow off tube into the airlock. When i checked it at 7 this morning the blow off was bubbling away.

Champagne yeast is cheap enough. Prolly not a bad idea for all three. What whiskey did u decided to go with for the oak chips?

Jameson limited reserve. Ive had a bottle sitting around still in the box for about a year and a half. Its like a hundred dollar bottle. I also picked up a small bottle of black velvet in case i change my mind.

I just checked it and the temp is holding steady at about 65. It looks like the yeast is just getting started but this is only the tip of the iceberg i think.

grssmnperez said:
I just checked it and the temp is holding steady at about 65. It looks like the yeast is just getting started but this is only the tip of the iceberg i think.

Well good luck sir. I will give updates after this weekend.. My friends changed the recipe slightly so we should come out with a diff flavor profile. Which I would very much like to see if he minor changes does anything.

We were suppose to brew on the the 1st of this month but found out we got their a hour too late. Our lhbs shop was closed till the 10th so brew weekend is this week... Will see if my brew turns into this hellish creature you describe...

It wasnt even a wort. It was a slurry. When it was all said and done i only had to add about a gallon if water to get to 5gallons. How do you post pics on here?

grssmnperez said:
It wasnt even a wort. It was a slurry. When it was all said and done i only had to add about a gallon if water to get to 5gallons. How do you post pics on here?

If using ur phone. There I a + button in top right near send button.

Alright. So check this out.

image-1476466979.jpg

The fridge is getting too cold. The fermenter is just holding on to 60 or so. Its getting too warm in the house during the day (68) and 64 at night. What should i do?

If you have a temp controller shutting fridge on and off make sure te probe is taped to the side of fermentor and if you don't. I used take a plastic tub full with water and dump in frozen bottles of water.. U will fluctuate but between 62 and 72.

Back