Batch sparge infusion temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
I've read many threads that say a batch sparge infusion temp should be at between 185-190F to get the grain bed to around 168F, but according to TastyBrew.com my infusion temp should be closer to 200-202F depending on grain temp to achieve a temp of 168F. When I plug in an infusion temp of 190F it would require way more water than what I figure into my total water volume.. Can anyone explain this contradiction to me?

The temperature would be different depending on current mash temperature and the amount of grain. 11 Lbs of grain at 152 would surely take a lower temperature to raise it to 168 compared to a 20 Lb batch at 149 degrees. It's the same when you first mash, Beersmith will calculate your temperature of water for you based on amount of grain and temp.

The temperature would be different depending on current mash temperature and the amount of grain. 11 Lbs of grain at 152 would surely take a lower temperature to raise it to 168 compared to a 20 Lb batch at 149 degrees. It's the same when you first mash, Beersmith will calculate your temperature of water for you based on amount of grain and temp.

Ok, well I guess when I've read threads on this topic I got the impression that people use the 185-190F number as a normal infusion temp regardless of grain bill. What you say makes perfect sense to me, and that is how I've done it. I just started to wonder if maybe I was doing it wrong all along if people always used the same infusion temp for batch sparging. I have a 20lb grain bill coming up and I have calculated 202F as my sparge infusion temp, and that's what I will stick with...

It also depends how thick or thin your mash is. If you do a thin mash, you will need much hotter sparge water to raise the temperature up to 168.

-a.

[EDIT]
Ignore this. I wasn't thinking straight.
[/EDIT]

It also depends how thick or thin your mash is. If you do a thin mash, you will need much hotter sparge water to raise the temperature up to 168.

-a.

I'm not sure I understand that! I would think the only thing that determines batch sparge infusion temp would be grain bill and the temp of the grain bed at infusion time...

Unless what you mean is the thin mash only leaves so much room for sparge water if you're getting close to total pre-boil volume. If that's what you mean then I understand. After all the only reason I have to use 202F water is because a lower temp would give me too much sparge water and increase my overall volume..

I really need to take a break from Brewhouse math for today...

I like to add 3/4 of my water, check the temp and adjust the last amount to hit my temp.

I followed Denny's suggestions and it has not led me astray.

http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/

I use Denny's method, as well. The only problem is that he also make it sound like every batch regardless of grain amount and grain temp should be infused with 185-190F water. If I infuse with that temp I'll only hit a sparge temp of about 160-164F at best on a 20 lb grain bill..

Stauffbier said:
I use Denny's method, as well. The only problem is that he also make it sound like every batch regardless of grain amount and grain temp should be infused with 185-190F water. If I infuse with that temp I'll only hit a sparge temp of about 160-164F at best on a 20 lb grain bill..

What has been your efficiency following this? Keeping in mind the quality of grain crush and similar variables.

Why are you keen on hitting a certain temperature for your batch sparge? Just curious. At the end of the day, I do not believe that batch sparge water temp really makes a huge difference to the final product. For me, the benefit of the hotter sparge water means that I do not have to wait as long for my wort to boil since I am draining hotter water into my kettle (vs. hot tap water). Has no influence on efficiency.

From time to time, when I need to split up my brew day, I just use hot tap water for sparging. In each and every case, my OGs and my FGs are identical. Kai took this to an extreme in his cold water sparge experiment: http://braukaiser.com/lifetype2/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=129&blogId=1

I do not notice the haze differences that Kai did but I really don't care if my beer is a bit hazy, anyway. I only do a hot tap water sparge when I need to mash & sparge on one day and then boil on the next (e.g., on a busy weekend).

From time to time, when I need to split up my brew day, I just use hot tap water for sparging. In each and every case, my OGs and my FGs are identical. Kai took this to an extreme in his cold water sparge experiment: http://braukaiser.com/lifetype2/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=129&blogId=1

I do not notice the haze differences that Kai did but I really don't care if my beer is a bit hazy, anyway. I only do a hot tap water sparge when I need to mash & sparge on one day and then boil on the next (e.g., on a busy weekend).

+1

Yup that's the way I see it. Kai didn't say you should do cold water sparges or that he would stop doing hot water sparges. He just concluded that it's just not important enough. Basically, if you forget to heat your sparge water up or need extra volume to reach preboil volume, just use whatever you have. This comes in handy if you are a BIAB brewer and need to sparge in a bucket or what not.

I just heat my sparge water up 170-180, but that's only cus it brings me closer to boiling temps and I can heat it while the mash and drain is occurring. Basically it saves me time.

I'm not sure I understand that! I would think the only thing that determines batch sparge infusion temp would be grain bill and the temp of the grain bed at infusion time...

Unless what you mean is the thin mash only leaves so much room for sparge water if you're getting close to total pre-boil volume. If that's what you mean then I understand. After all the only reason I have to use 202F water is because a lower temp would give me too much sparge water and increase my overall volume..

I really need to take a break from Brewhouse math for today...

You're absolutely right.:eek:
I was thinking of a mash out prior to a fly sparge, but with a batch sparge, you would drain the first runnings before sparging, so the mash thickness would be irrelevant.

Sorry,

-a.

185-190 is a fine rule of thumb for batch sparging because we're not necessarily trying to reach a strict mashout temp. For me, it's a way of getting the derived wort up to boil temps faster by having a hotter wort to start with. You can calculate it out every batch if you want to, to get close to 170F but I find it unnecessary. You'll be boiling in 20 minutes.

What has been your efficiency following this? Keeping in mind the quality of grain crush and similar variables.

When I used 185F as a standard temp on all batches I got 58% efficiency almost always. I've always used pre-crushed grain from Midwest. Since I just got 79% eff this past weekend I don't think it's their crush..

Why are you keen on hitting a certain temperature for your batch sparge? Just curious.
I just use hot tap water for sparging..

I guess it's because I'm new to AG (6 batches so far) and I have read that hotter water stops conversion and rinses sugars better.. And for the record my Hot tap water is gross. It leaves little black grains of some mystery mineral (or something) at the bottom of a drinking glass when I use it. I think my water heater is just old, so I don't consume my hot tap water.

+1
I just heat my sparge water up 170-180, but that's only cus it brings me closer to boiling temps and I can heat it while the mash and drain is occurring. Basically it saves me time.

If I infuse 170F sparge water into my 149ish grain bed it doesn't even get my temps out of the 150's. I thought the point in higher temps was to stop conversion and rinse, so if I'm still in the high 150's I would think I'm still getting conversion of un-fermentable sugars?!?!

185-190 is a fine rule of thumb for batch sparging because we're not necessarily trying to reach a strict mashout temp. For me, it's a way of getting the derived wort up to boil temps faster by having a hotter wort to start with. You can calculate it out every batch if you want to, to get close to 170F but I find it unnecessary. You'll be boiling in 20 minutes.
+1

That's exactly it. As I see it, the main benefit of heating your batch sparge water is that you can reach boiling that much faster since you've already heated a bunch of (sparge) water. That's basically my sole reason for pre-heating my batch sparge water to 180 or so (with an emphasis on 'or so' since I believe it matters very little).

I do not worry for 1 millsecond if I am stopping or prolonging starch/sugar conversion. Makes no discernable difference(s) in my final (beer) product.

Well, if it doesn't hurt for me to adjust infusion temp on each batch to achieve 168-170F Then I'll just keep doing it, so my wort will come to a boil faster. It isn't any harder for me to heat water up to 200 than it is 185. It only takes a few more minutes since I heat all of my strike/sparge water on my stove.

Back