I call it "Cubs Suck Hefeweizen"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe Dragon said:
Any thoughts?

You don't need the pound of wheat. Your DME will have enough.

Otherwise, my suggestion is to keep Lou out of the dugout. Worked well yesterday, don't you think?

I'd add 1/2 oz of ivy at flameout.

There should be a black cat that circles the brewpot (ideally causing a boilover).

A goat should drink from the fermentor just after yeast is pitched.

And this guy should be on the label
GonzalezAlex.jpg

Bike N Brew said:
A goat should drink from the fermentor just after yeast is pitched.

Did you say goat? that reminds me of a song - although if you're not an Adam Sandler fan you'll think I'm crazy. :rockin:

I am a simple goat,
I live in the back of a pick-up truck
The old man tied me here with a 3 foot rope
Am I happy? He don't give a *%$#

'Hey goat, I'm gonna beat your head in with a hickory stick!'
Sometimes he uses his fists
He's filled with anger and filled with rage
And tells me a smell like p*ss

His drink - Jimmy Beam
His chaser - a BEER!
After that, various alcohols

etc., etc.

I'm not a cubs fan, but I can empathize with your sports frustration. I'm a Detroit Lions fan.

You probably don't need the Carapils, the wheat will provide head retention.

I've never used acidulated malt, so I can't be much help there. A quick Google gave me this, which says acidulated is good for lowering your mash pH, and will provide a sourness.

I think the sourness is more typical of a Berliner Weisse than a Bavarian Hefeweizen...is that the flavor you're after? If so, and if you're afraid of the acidulated, I'd say leave it out. You could always add lactic acid to the finished product to get a similar result.

Joe Dragon said:
Do you see any benefit to the Cara Pils and Acidulated malts? I see acid malt is added to some stout recipes so I’m not sure if that’s the kind of “sour” I was looking for.

i think the acid malts work really well in the german hefes. i used about 2 oz in my franz clone and some in my AHH hefe and they both turned out awesome.

i think 2 oz is about perfect.

:rockin:

I think the best extract Hefe just needs 6 pounds of Wheat DME, 1 oz of hallertau, and yeast. I did acid in my franzi and it was too sour. I'll probably never use it again.

Latest posts

Back